Make Ice Cubes For A Cake?

Decorating By mahlmann Updated 17 Aug 2013 , 5:17pm by bighand

mahlmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahlmann Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:23am
post #1 of 15

Hi! I want to try to make a cake that looks like a bottle of champagne in an ice bucket. How would I go about making ice cubes?? Thanks!

14 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:45am
post #2 of 15

Here is a link on making edible diamonds. You can use the same instructions, putting it in the small brownie squares....perfect for icecubes!
http://hanielas.blogspot.com/2009/02/sugar-diamonds.html

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:10am
post #3 of 15

The other thing that you can do is to make a clear jello with gelatin and water and chill in ice cube trays. I got that idea from someone else here. I can't remember who, though.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:20am
post #4 of 15

If you check the cake boss(on TLC) he did an episode where he made ice, with isomalt I believe. Its the lobster pot episode.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 7:04am
post #5 of 15

I have made sugar ice cubes using sugar and corn syrup for my beer bucket cake. They looked so awesome. Basically, you mix 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 of corn syrup and and melt it in the microwave. Melt it in 45 second or so intervals and stirring in between. THe more you melt it the color will turn a slight yellow. So, what I did was to make sure it didn't get to that dark. But you do have to cook it in the microwave for a while about about 4-5 minutes depending on how powerful your microwave is. Once out of the microwave I let it sit for a few seconds before pouring it into the ice cube trays. If you want crystal clear ice cubes you have to buy isomalt for that.

Be sure to place a piece of foil under the tray just it case it melts the plastic a bit....happened to me on my second attempt. And I also spray the ice cubes lightly with oil. Takes about 30 minutes or so to set and simply pop them out!! Hope this is not too confusing.

Here is a pix of my cake

mahlmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahlmann Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks everyone! This is helpful!!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

I have made sugar ice cubes using sugar and corn syrup for my beer bucket cake. They looked so awesome. Basically, you mix 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 of corn syrup and and melt it in the microwave. Melt it in 45 second or so intervals and stirring in between. THe more you melt it the color will turn a slight yellow. So, what I did was to make sure it didn't get to that dark. But you do have to cook it in the microwave for a while about about 4-5 minutes depending on how powerful your microwave is. Once out of the microwave I let it sit for a few seconds before pouring it into the ice cube trays. If you want crystal clear ice cubes you have to buy for that.

Be sure to place a piece of foil under the tray just it case it melts the plastic a bit....happened to me on my second attempt. And I also spray the ice cubes lightly with oil. Takes about 30 minutes or so to set and simply pop them out!! Hope this is not too confusing.

Here is a pix of my cake

I want to try this. I don't have a project for it yet, but I'd love to just know I could do it.

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 15

ISOMALT if you want clear. I put them in ice cube tray until they are hard and then popped them out.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 15

I used a rock candy recipe for my ice cubes with my sugar beer bottles. It worked very well for me.

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:34am
post #10 of 15

I made ice cubes with the gelatin... looked great - for the first hour. THEN - the lack of refrigeration got to it... they got really soft and liquidy. Of course, that made the fondant around the bucket get all gooey and sticky and start to sag. Good thing this was a cake for a friend and I was there to see it. I immediately started singing happy birthday and grabbed a knife to hide the fact that the bucket was melting!

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 15

Save

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 15

if using isomalt or corn syrup, do you need to grease the ice cube trays? or do they come out easily when hard?

czempel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czempel Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 7:42pm
post #13 of 15

I use Pam spray in all of my isomalt molds.

danyag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danyag Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 15

save

bighand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bighand Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 5:17pm
post #15 of 15

Hi Mahlman  I live in Ireland and over here we have a sweet called foxes glacier mints. They are perfect for ice cubes,though not sure if they are available were you live. I tried the gelatin but it tasted horrible and started to melt into cake which wasn't pretty.HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%