Indydebi's Buttercream

Baking By jojo0676 Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 8:09pm by Uniqueask

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 9

Debi,

I just had to let you know that when you do a Google search and start typing "Indydebi's buttercream" comes up automatically icon_smile.gif That is one popular recipe!

I just bought Dream Whip so I can try it for the first time. Quick question, have you, or anyone, ever tried to make it with half butter?

Thanks!!

8 replies
kjjs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjjs Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 9

I use 1 stick of butter and a stick of crisco in Indy's recipe. It works great! It isn't perfectly white because of the butter, but it is not a huge difference. If you need pure white icing use all crisco. HTH!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 9

I've made it with a stick of butter and the rest crisco and it tastes great. Because of the heat and humidity here, I wouldn't try it in the summer but the rest of the year it's fine.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 9

I also do what Texas_Rose does--1/2 cup butter and the rest is Crisco and it is wonderful. I like the taste the butter gives it. Indydebi's buttercream is delicious and "light" tasting--other buttercreams just taste too heavy to me now. It crusts beautifully and takes color very well. I use her recipe as a base for any flavor I want to make.

jojo0676 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the replies. I don't need it white and I tend to prefer butter in mine so I'm going to go with that! Can't wait to taste it, and to see if others notice a difference icon_smile.gif

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 9

So it does take color well? I was wondering cause I want to try it for my daughter's birthday and it needs to be blue. I use Americolor, is that ok?
TIA

jojo0676 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 9

It took color great. I did use 1/2 butter and regular vanilla so it wasn't white to start with but I colored it yellow and it was fine.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 9

Just fyi, i have also done it all butter- still great.
xx

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 9

I have also done it with both the butter and crisco, and it came out great, and Yes you can use Americolor, that is the only color I use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%