Office Pet Peeves!

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 11:25pm by costumeczar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 25

1. Why can't people wipe their feet off outside the door on the grubby matt and not inside the door on the matt that has the company information printed on it that I have to sweep?

2. How hard it is to dump coffee grinds in the trash can and not all over the floor? And if you do drop something on the floor, pick it up!

The above I have decided are going to happen no matter what. Though I have thought about putting up a sign that says I'm not your mother or your wife so clean up after yourselves.

I'm the only female in the office and I can say that even though they don't put the toliet seat down, there is always toliet paper in the bathroom. And if it comes between the seat down and toliet paper, I'll take the toliet paper.

So does anyone else have any office/work place pet peeves?

24 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 25

I started a job once and the men who worked there hadn't taken out their trash in months...the whole back room was full of flies and smelled horrible. I told the district manager (who I had worked for in the past) about the mess, and he said that now that there was a woman working there, he knew it would all get cleaned up and stay that way. It was a part-time job for extra cash and I decided I didn't need extra cash after all icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 25

This is a family business and while I was brought into learn alot of my dad's stuff, I am also helping out my brother who had way to much on his plate. So the cleaning did fall into my hands and for the most part I'm okay with it. When I first started back in August I gave the place a through cleaning, made them throw out stuff and we have gotten lots of comments on how much better the place looks. It is a roofing company so it isn't every going to be totally clean and all that.

I had to clean the employee/crew bathroom when I first started working as well. It hadn't been cleaned in a long time and not a really good cleaning. After I finished I made it clear, as long as they kept it decent I'd clean it once a week or so. If it got nasty, I'd be giving it them the cleaning supplies to handle. I refuse to pick up the trash on the floor in there, and have been known to leave a trash bag in there for them to clean out their own nasty trash.

There are days when the mat just gets to me. Espeically when someone just really rubs their dirty muddy, covered in red clay shoes all over it. Or when I stay late to mop up the coffee spills and come in the next morning to coffee grinds on the floor. It is like please, can it not stay decent for 24 hours before ya'll mess things up.

Can you tell I'm having a day?

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 25

No one in my office can seem to wash their own dishes.

But the worst one for me is people taking everything off the printer and walking off with it even if it isn't theirs. Take what you printed and leave the rest. Seriously, you know you printed one page, why did you just take a stack of papers over and inch thick. And when you bring them back, please don't bring back a jumbled mess.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:03am
post #5 of 25

mgwebb68, mine is kind of the opposite of yours. The communal office printer is by my desk and people are always printing stuff and leaving it there for days and days. Every Monday morning I toss everything into the recycling bin.

Another one is, if you take the last cookie/donut/pizza slice, throw away the box/container/whatever.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #6 of 25

I actually worked with more than one person in the same office who did this stuff:

Works starts at 8:00 a.m.
You come mosey'ing in at 5 minutes till 8, taking your time to take off your coat, put away your lunch.
Sit down and boot up computer. Decide you need coffee.
Go to break room. Coffee not ready. You decide to wait for 10 minutes until a new pot is brewed.
Carry coffee back to desk.
Remember that you brought instant oatmeal.
Go back to breakroom to make oatmeal.
Talk to 97 people on the way.
Eat oatmeal at desk while checking emails.
FINALLY make a call to one of your customers, only to talk about basketball for 45 minutes!
NOtice it's time for your 10 minute break. Yell to co-workers that it's time for the morning walk.
Take 10 minutes to change into walking shoes while carrying on personal conversation.
Go on your walk. You're gone 15 minutes.
Come back into office, telling everyone between the door and your desk how nice the weather is.
Take another 10 minutes to change shoes. Decide you need more coffee.
I'ts 11:00 a.m. Start talking to co-workers about lunch plans. Look up pizza menus online.
Go to lunch, taking 1 hour and 20 minutes because changing shoes and walking to the door doesn't count as part of your lunch hour.
Come back to lunch and complain about how you have too much work to do and there's NO WAY one person can handle your workload!

Naturaly, this guy was promoted to supv. icon_eek.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:45am
post #7 of 25

The only other person in my office sits there and talks to herself, narrating her every move...all. day. long:

"oh, why did I do that? Oh, let me put that...mmm...did I email her? hmmm..aargh...darn, why didn't I order more envelopes..."

Constant chatter, on and on...all day long. I pray for her days off. Some day, I may kill her icon_wink.gif

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:04am
post #8 of 25

We have a saying in the field (electrician) F-UP Move-Up.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:35am
post #9 of 25

This thread comes at a perfect time...I was just having a rant! I am a teacher. I am also in charge of my "supervision group" for the year. We are on duty every third week, and I post the schedule on Monday morning. All you have to do is SHOW UP to your given duty. It's no more than 20 minutes. Everyone has to do it. You are not special. I do not care if you need to photocopy. GO DO YOUR DUTY or I have to do it for you. When I ask you politely to do your job, how hard is it to just DO IT? Arghh.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:50am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

This thread comes at a perfect time...I was just having a rant! I am a teacher. I am also in charge of my "supervision group" for the year. We are on duty every third week, and I post the schedule on Monday morning. All you have to do is SHOW UP to your given duty. It's no more than 20 minutes. Everyone has to do it. You are not special. I do not care if you need to photocopy. GO DO YOUR DUTY or I have to do it for you. When I ask you politely to do your job, how hard is it to just DO IT? Arghh.

When we complained about some staff never doing duty, the principal told us that they 'couldn't go out in the sun'. What? Put on a hat and long sleeves and go do your duty! If you don't, everyone else has to do more.

Cliche talk is mine. "Let's not re-invent the wheel." "Let's think outside the box." "We're educating the whole child." I want a new wheel, I'm quite happy in my box, and what 'parts' of the child do other schools educate? Think of your own words when you want to say something!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 25

I used to work with a womena who had false teeth, but they were not on one plate. She had to Fixodent them into place individually and they were constantly coming loose. She would take them out at her desk and play around with them, smack them loudly, take them in and out of her mouth all day. Would she ever wash her hands? of course not! Then she'd go touch the copier, files, phones, and everything else. It was so nasty.

AverageMom Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 25

Michelle, that is the grossest thing I have ever heard!

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:17pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

I used to work with a womena who had false teeth, but they were not on one plate. She had to Fixodent them into place individually and they were constantly coming loose. She would take them out at her desk and play around with them, smack them loudly, take them in and out of her mouth all day. Would she ever wash her hands? of course not! Then she'd go touch the copier, files, phones, and everything else. It was so nasty.

I read then entire thread and then came to this..... I just finished eating lunch. It was only a salad and it was good. Not as good the second time.

That was just gross! LOL

My boss likes to come in my office and leave scrap. He leaves empty boxes, crap on my desk that just needs to be disposed of. I recently had a talk with him in front of the rest of the group who treats my office like a garbage dump. I stopped that!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 25

My office is just lazy slobs! I have signs posted all over the place to clean up after yourself, etc. Tell me when supplies are low - no they wait until it's all gone. I don't drink coffee and I tell them that every month when I collect for the kitchen fund, yet they wait until there isn't any to let me know (same goes for the half & half). At this point I just shrug them off and say oh well now you wait until tomorrow for it or go shopping yourself. I leave the spills and trash as they do, I work around it and don't care anymore. Nothing will ever change these people - slobs are slobs no matter what.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 25

I'm so glad I don't work in an office anymore after reading these! I used to work in retail and it wasn't slobs so much as backstabbing b**ches. Now I only have myself to worry about, that's about as much as I can handle most days icon_razz.gif

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:52pm
post #16 of 25

Costumeczar, when I was 18 I worked in an office full of women and even at that age I was suprised at the way grown women acted.

Of course now that I work with nothing but men I'm not sure which is worse. At least I don't have to worry about any of them talking about be behind my back. Plus 90% of them are only in the office in the morning, so that is a plus as well. icon_smile.gif

Of course I'll never meet a guy at this job. Sigh.

costumeczar Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:59pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Costumeczar, when I was 18 I worked in an office full of women and even at that age I was suprised at the way grown women acted.

Of course now that I work with nothing but men I'm not sure which is worse. At least I don't have to worry about any of them talking about be behind my back. Plus 90% of them are only in the office in the morning, so that is a plus as well. icon_smile.gif

Of course I'll never meet a guy at this job. Sigh.

If you did meet one you'd be able to check out what kind of a slob he is before you married him though! icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

If you did meet one you'd be able to check out what kind of a slob he is before you married him though! icon_lol.gif

Laughing! I'm the bosses daughter so I'd be worried about anyone that was willing to go there and I wouldn't date anyone from here because what if it ended badly?

We do work on schools so I've had to get set up to do criminal background checks on our employees. So I'd if I dated someone from here I'd know more than just if they were a slob.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:43am
post #19 of 25

I absolutely could not stand the chain smoking co-worker that I used to work with years ago. She was outside smoking constantly. Each smoke lead to conversations with any given smokers outside at the time. All smoke breaks lasted 15 minutes. I swear that in an 8 hour day she barely worked 4 hours. I thought that was just to unfair.

I also hated when other workers would use my phone instead of going to their own desk. I sanitized my phone every morning and I did not like others bothering it.

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:37am
post #20 of 25

before i became a work at home mom, I was an ESL teacher in one of the local schools.
Anyway, I am a coffee addict. I'll drink a whole pot a day, sometimes more.I'm the type of person who has to have cream in her coffee. Not coffeemate, not half and half, Cream! So I would bring in my can of cream and stick it in the little refridgerator in the teachers lounge once I opened it. Whenever I would go back to make my 2nd cup of coffee the cream was always gone.
I started getting so mad, I dont know if yall ever saw the friends epoisode where someone ate Ross's sandwich, LOL, I almost had the same reaction! I started putting post- it's on my cream with different messages like "This belongs to Nora McDonald", or "Buy your own cream" or "dont touch" or " I know who you are stop taking my cream". I even put one that said " I just spit in this cream" and whoever the woman was she STILL took it. It got to the point where I'd open the fridge, curse out loud and walk around the lounge with my empty cream can LOL. I ended up being so crazy mad about it that one day I sacrificed one of my cream's and poured SALT in the can so her coffee would be inedible. Never found out who she was and eventually just stopped drinking my coffee at work. Sorry but any time I opened that fridge and something wasnt mine I never even THOUGHt about using it!

AverageMom Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:21pm
post #21 of 25

Ah yes, the Fridge Thief. Teachers are notorious for that crap. Our staff room has two fridge issues:
1. Someone taking stuff that doesn't belong to them,
2. Never taking leftovers out of the fridge!

Why would you leave a half eaten sandwich in there for 3 months? Really! Oh wait. I just thought of a third.
3. NEVER doing your own dishes, instead just leaving them in the sink. What, you think the dish fairy is coming over?

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:00pm
post #22 of 25

Pet Peeve #3: Coming in and getting a handfull of candy (chocolates I might add) out of the candy dish on my desk.

Yes I put it out there for people to eat, but not just for YOU to eat, and if you make another stop to my desk there won't be any left for anyone else. UGH UGH UGH!!!!!!!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm
post #23 of 25

I used to work with a smoker, and she lit her cig just inside the door every time (about 10x a day), and I would have coughing fits every time. I told her nicely, had the boss tell her to stop (this office when the first floor of her house, so the smell would go up too), to no avail. It is already 11 years, but I never fully regained my sense of smell.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm
post #24 of 25

OMG! I have just have to laugh at all of these posts. I work at a bank (in a service center not the branch where you do your banking) and am an Exec Admin and I have worked for the same boss for over 20 years. It is nice to know that I am not the only one that has to put up with this crap. I am in a large building with over 400 people but there are many different depts on the six floors.

People just never fail to amaze me. The building is smoke free so that means all those smokers are running out to the smoking area 5-6 times a day. They are lighting that butt up as they walk through the 2nd set of doors and when they come back in they have to take that last drag of the butt as they throw it AT the container by the door and exhale as they walk in the building. Disgusting slops! Butts laying all over the ground and we non-smokers have to breathe their crap as we walk in and out of the building.

We have mostly women in the building and I cannot believe what a bunch pigs some of these women are when it comes to the restroom. Some don't wash their hands, flush the toliet (can you believe that), or wipe up the area around the sink when they slop water all over the counter or pick up a piece of paper toweling from the floor. And then when you find out who does this stuff you just cannot belive it. You wonder what their homes must look like.

We have several refrigerators in the lower level lunch room for people to put their food in if they bring a lunch. People take other people's food, soda or whatever right out of the refrig. If you leave something in there overnight it will be gone the next day. There was this one gal who ordered pizzas from someone's kid who was selling them. She had 6 pizzas and put them in one of the freezers and forgot to take them home with her. The next day she found them with the centers all cut out and just the ring of crust left! People even jump over the lunch counter to steal the catsup that the company that we have that brings in hot food that we can buy for lunch stores their supplies.

People who work the evening shift go on scavenger hunts throughout the building and steal peoples personal belongings from their desks and steal money out of desks if they find it.

Every department has to lock their supply cabinets as people were taking office supplies home with them.

We have a small kitchen in the exec area where I sit and of course the almighty coffee maker. About a year ago I put my foot down - if you want coffee - fine - BUT YOU ARE DUMPING IT, CLEANING OUT THE POT AND CLEANING UP YOUR MESS - I AM NOT DOING IT ANY LONGER! Funny thing - coffee is rarely made and then only for meetings. I got fed up with their dam mess. My dear boss if famous for leaving his cup or glass set in the sink and after years of asking him if he had a broken arm or making a comment about it he as stopped doing it - this went on for years!!!

Oh yes, just like Indydeb said - waltz in after 8 am, hang up your coat, go to the bathroom and check you hair and makeup, get your giant sized mug and go down to the basement and get your tankard of ice and water and then run to the bathroom 20 times a day. Then it's geez I didn't have time to eat breakfast and I need to go heat up my bagel or whatever and then that's another 15 minutes with a trip to the lunch room to use the microwave.

It's always the same ones doing the same things - you wonder why you have an HR dept or Managers and Supervisors as the abusers are always getting by with it. They don't want to upset people or acuse people or infringe on their rights or want them to quit cause then their numbers for retention would look bad - blah, blah, blah!!!

Sorry this is so long - but after almost 25 years in this place I have a lot of pent up frustrations!! Thanks for 'listening".

costumeczar Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:25pm
post #25 of 25

My kids think that "The Office" is funny because of the things the people say, but I tell them it's funny because it's so painfully true.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%