Need Some Decorating Ideas.

Decorating By CristyInMiami Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 12:23am by sadsmile

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 9

THe customer sent me this picture:

http://www.tinyprints.com/product/4148/birthday_party_invitations_toy_cars.html

She wants the cake to be decorated around the invite. How would you guys go about it?

Any advice/ideas is appreciated. Thanks!! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

8 replies
GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 9

I would make a two tier stacked cake (round). Make the vehicles out of fondant and place around the sides of the cakes. Attach fondant ribbon, the same color of the border of the invitation, around the cakes. Make a 3-D car and place on top of tier with the year. Make a plaque the same as the invitation that reads "Happy Birthday ....." I hope I explained myself. Have fun

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 9

I too was thinking make fondant/gumpaste cut outs of the cars/trucks. I would make them the bottom border & have a big gumpaste car/truck on top & if they wanted it to say HB I would attach a oval piece of gumpaste under the big car/truck & write HB on that.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 9

Thats about the idea i had except I had not thought of the car on the top and i love it! Great finishing touch.

Do you think the cars should be placed all scattered around the cake or in a straightline across the middle of each tier?

Thanks a bunch!

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 9

I think they should be just like the invitation but spread them more, that way you don't have to make so many vehicles.

dandelion56602 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 9

If you want to make even less, just use them as the bottom border, separating each tier. Or do the bottom tier w/ them spread out & then a bottom border on the top tier

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 9

ooh, I like the idea of using them as the bottom border! then they match the invite and you're not making like 50 cars! lol You should still use the color that is the border on the invite, maybe under the cars, or at the top of each tier, or just some additional simple piped decos a few places.

dandelion56602 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

ooh, I like the idea of using them as the bottom border! then they match the invite and you're not making like 50 cars! lol You should still use the color that is the border on the invite, maybe under the cars, or at the top of each tier, or just some additional simple piped decos a few places.

Ooooh, I think that would be classy w/ a small fondant ribbon w/ the cars slightly above the fondant ribbon.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:23am
post #9 of 9

I think the bottom tier in a light beige and the top tier in the off white with the cars going around the boarder as suggested. Maybe a stripe of that blue as a border and then the cars running just on top of that.
With a Honk! HONK! Honk!(using all the colors) here and there on the tiers at various places, some slanted to add interest all going around HAPPY BIRTHDAY(Top Tier orange) ANDREW!(Bigger on the bottom Tier orange) Maybe one Big car cut out sticking in the top with room for the candles around it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%