How Do I Attach Wire To The Fodant

Decorating By D1976 Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 11:40pm by ikklejo

D1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D1976 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 6

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1204994

Can someone please tell me how they attach wire to fondant like in this picture? Any tricks? What kind of wire? Etc... Thanks

5 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 6

I use wire found at the hardware store (16 or 18 gauge). Just roll your fondant (actually, I use gumpaste - it dries harder and faster), place the wire on top and then cover with another piece of fondant or gumpaste. Let them dry flat for a day or two. Hope this helps!

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:33am
post #3 of 6

I've wondered this too. My attempts have not worked out so good...

BUMP

luv2bcre8f Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bcre8f Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:07am
post #4 of 6

My dilemma is how to fix the wire in the fondant/cake? The decoration on the end of the wire makes it too top heavy and it drags/rips a hole into the fondant as it falls over. Once, I tried a cluster of wires, shooting upward and curving outward, like a fountain spray, with gumpaste balls on the ends. I thought they would all support each other but they all swung around and laid in a pile against each other because there was no support at the base and no way to keep the wires from twisting - am I describing this clearly? How do they do that - does anybody know?

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:24am
post #5 of 6

1. Heavier gauge wire.
2. Get a flower (posy) pick with GP stuffed into the base, then stick wires into this pick (could also use a straw instead). Let dry properly before inserting entire pick into cake. Try to avoid sticking wires directly into cake.

ikklejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikklejo Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 6

I dont use a posy pick I use tape - im not sure of the actual name as my supplier recomened it to me maybe someone else can tell us lol, but it holds everything in your spray together alot sturdier than in a pick and as you are not supposed to stick wires straight into a cake this way is better all round icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%