Wilton Tool Caddy?

Decorating By cakesage Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm by SugarBakerz

cakesage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesage Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 10

Need to organize my expanding collection of decorating tools. Does anyone have any suggestions on tool caddies. Thinking of getting Wilton's. I don't need a fully loaded one with tools, I have most of the things already. What do you guys and gals suggest. You guys have saved me alot of money already. Thank you all for your wisdom.

9 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 10

The Wilton caddy is outrageously expensive. Go to a fine art supply store and buy an art caddy (they may call it an "art box".) Same thing, like a giant lunch pail with a latching lid and handle...much cheaper.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 10

The hardware store is a good place to get a travel box for your supplies. But if you're not going to be taking them anywhere, then a plastic cart with drawers is ideal. They usually have wheels, which means you can roll them into the kitchen when you need them, and then store them somewhere out of sight when you don't. I have one with four shallow drawers and three deep drawers and it's packed full already...but after I move, I'm going to get one just for cookie cutters and then I'll have enough room in the cake one again.

I have the wilton toolbox and I thought it would be convenient to keep the frosting colors in, since it has holes cut to hold the jars. The only problem is that somehow the jars leak in it. It doesn't have enough room in the bottom compartment either, and when I take a repair kit for a cake, I prefer to take a plain toolbox with just the things that I need in it. I bought a clear plastic toolbox at Walmart for less than $5 and it's perfect for a travel kit.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 10

LOL - you can't have more than just one caddy!

Wilton tool box is fine (good for taking along as your emergency kit) as well as the drawer caddy by Wilton if you can take advantage of a 50% coupon from Michael's....

I have both of those and the plastic caddies by (sp?) Stearlite that are broken down into different drawer sizes. I have the large rolling cart (holds powders,dusts, chalks, gels, etc.), the smaller two drawer caddies (holds all my gumpaste cutters, etc.) and the even smaller three drawer organizer that I keep on my work bench(holds all my gumpaste tools, etc.)

"to go" organizers can be tackle boxes or the ever popular makeup organizers that have the extending arms.

Sooo many creative ways to hold your "stuff." icon_lol.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 10

I had two Wilton caddies but outgrew them very quickly. I purchased a three-drawer plastic container stand from Target for less than half the cost of two Wilton caddies and it holds way more supplies and came with rolling casters for the bottom so it can be easily rolled around. My caddies are now history.

cakesage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesage Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 10

Guys you are the best! Thank You!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 10

I think the Wilton tool caddy (or a regular tool box) is handy if you need to carry supplies different places. I didn't get the tool caddy until I started teaching the Wilton classes and knew I'd have to carry things to the store and back.

When I started decorating I looked at that box and knew I would quickly out grow it.

I'd say if you don't have to carry supplies anywhere then look into the plastic drawer sets if you don't have a ton of stuff. I had several of these until I finally out grew them too. I actually have big shelving units with different size boxes and box my stuff with like items. Flower cutters/vieners in one box, icing colors in another, christmas cookie cutters in this box, and so on.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 10

For hauling stuff around, I got a tackle box. We searched around for different ones and I found a great one for $20 and it holds tons of stuff. For regular storage, I have a variety of plastic drawers and shelving to separate stuff.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 10

Yikes - I need to get my stuff more organized! Mine are all in separate storage boxes based on what they are, but it's such a pain to have so many different boxes I have to get out!

The Wilton box didn't work for me very long, and I don't use colors in the small containers anymore, I have to get the big ones anyway! I passed my caddy on to a friend who doesn't really do cake, but every once in a while needs a few decorating items and this keeps them all organized for her!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 10

I have used the plastic "bead" containers found at michaels and similar places. The have about 20 sections in them. they stack flat, and they hold tips, couplers, and even the wilton jars of icing colors. I have shifted to using the bottles of color from americolor, so I don't put colors in them that much anymore. I think you could purchase a fairly cheap toolbox that would be similar. Hope you figure it all out, good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%