"well, Butter Mah Butt . . .

Business By leah_s Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm by Deb_

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 30

and call me a biscuit."

I did NOT realize that Alpine shortening was NOT a Hi-Ratio product. Just called my supplier to place an order and inquired about getting Sweetex. $20 a case higher than Alpine! Why? Sweetex is Hi-Ratio, Apline is not, although both are classified as "Icing Shortening" and both made by the same company.

Learn something new every day.

29 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 30

Is it kind of like name brand medicine and store brand medicine? They both have the same meds. in it, but one is about $4 cheaper then the other.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 30

I found some info on another cake chatboard that advised Tom Bandler/ACH Foods described Alpine as Icing shortening and Sweetex as Icing and Cake shortening.

So Sweetex is more stable and performs better if under or over mixed, unlike Alpine which isn't as forgiving of mixing errors.

But I think that Alpine is still a hi-ratio shortening, because it's certainly not an AP shortening...

HTH

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 30

for the years I worked in a bakery, I was under the impression that Alpine WAS a hi-ratio shortening.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 30

I'm fairly certain it's hi-ratio....I bought it once and didn't care for the results quite as much as Sweetex though.

Did you notice that some Sweetex is now "trans fat free" ughhh....they better not take the one containing trans fat off the market. icon_mad.gif

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 30

I was just looking into trying Sweetex--where's the cheapest place to order?

leah_s Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 30

I read the whole box of Alpine and couldn't find where it claimed to be Hi-Ratio. My impression has always been that is was HR, but the supplier (Dawn) was quite sure it was not.

For suppliers, I'd recco Dawn or BakeMark.

JanH Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:26am
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Did you notice that some Sweetex is now "trans fat free" ughhh....they better not take the one containing trans fat off the market. icon_mad.gif

It was my understanding that SweetexZ was trans fat free, not Sweetex. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:34am
post #9 of 30

On Sugarcraft (did a search on Alpine just to see what I could find) they list Alpine as hi-ratio and the label says "emulsified vegetable shortening"....

I started getting my Sweetex locally through Sysco so that's cool, saves the shipping costs. The rep has been really nice to let me get it through him as they are mainly a larger volume supplier.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:42am
post #10 of 30

From ACH own website-Doesn't say Alpine is high ratio but it is interesting
http://www.achfsv.com/searchResults.aspx

(mod edited to fix broken link.)

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:03am
post #11 of 30

ROFL! I'm sorry, I just cant get passed the title and first line of this!!!

I have no insight on the actual subject matter, as I'm a Sweetex girl, through and through.

JanH Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:04am
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

From ACH own website-Doesn't say Alpine is high ratio but it is interesting
http://www.achfsv(.)com/searchResults.aspx

That link is broken. icon_cry.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:06am
post #13 of 30

You can find the info if you take out the parentheses around the period. I followed it and went down to the "Alpine" link

JustToEatCake Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:19am
post #14 of 30

Sorry I should have written to remove the ()'s...

JanH Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #15 of 30

Alpine - a specialty icing shortening:

http://tinyurl.com/yaz3zrp

Sweetex - a cake and icing shortening:

http://tinyurl.com/ybybnov

JustToEatCake Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:51am
post #16 of 30

Has anyone ever made a recipe for cake using Sweetex? I don't think I've ever seen one..perhaps for butter but not shortening.

JanH Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:36pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Has anyone ever made a recipe for cake using Sweetex? I don't think I've ever seen one..perhaps for butter but not shortening.

If you scroll down to the end of the page there's a formula (professional recipe) for both butter and hi-ratio cakes:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ButterCakes.html

HTH

Deb_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:41pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:

It was my understanding that SweetexZ was trans fat free, not Sweetex. icon_smile.gif

Yeah I didn't mean all Sweetex was, just some. I just pray they don't mess with the other one.

JanH Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:54pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:

Yeah I didn't mean all Sweetex was, just some. I just pray they don't mess with the other one.

As I recall when they introduced the trans fat free Crisco, they also introduced it in a new green can color so you would know which was which... Then the trans fat free Crisco went back to being package in the the old blue can so you could't tell which was which without reading the nutritional info.

And now there's only the blue can since all Crisco is trans fat free.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:12pm
post #20 of 30

Just hope and pray that the US/Canada/UK/Australia/where-ever you are doesn't go the way of Denmark and outlaw trans-fats. Poor Danes, denied their trans-fat goodness.

Deb_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #21 of 30

I recall a recent thread where Alan from Global said something about NY not allowing the sale of Sweetex with trans fat.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

I'll try to find that thread.

Deb_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:30pm
post #22 of 30

Found it.....scroll down and read Alan's explanation about not being able to sell shortening with the trans fat, he explains that NYC doesn't prohibit it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6640601-.html#6640601

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:10am
post #23 of 30

When I need to make non-dairy (pareve) cakes, I routinely substitute hi-ratio for butter in pretty much any recipe. For each Tablespoon of butter called for in the recipe, I use 12 grams of hi-ratio and 2 grams of water. It has always worked really well for me.

In a blind tasting of chocolate cakes made with 7 different fats that I did for a paper in pastry school, much to my shock, the butter cake did NOT win for taste. The hi-ratio and Earth Balance margarine cakes got higher marks. Go figure!!!!!!

JanH Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:41am
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsacake

In a blind tasting of chocolate cakes made with 7 different fats that I did for a paper in pastry school, much to my shock, the butter cake did NOT win for taste. The hi-ratio and Earth Balance margarine cakes got higher marks. Go figure!!!!!!

Not that surprising, most movie goers preferred butter flavored coconut oil over real butter on their popcorn... But now I believe they offer "healthier" butter flavored oils. icon_rolleyes.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:39am
post #25 of 30
Quote:

Hi Deb~ I'm only asking this because I avoid hydrogenated oils at all costs.... but, why would you want the "trans fat" shortening? Does it perform better for what you need? I'm not switching, but is there a difference?

leah_s Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:56am
post #26 of 30

Yes, shortening WITH transfats performs much better in both cakes and icings.

Deb_ Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:54pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Exactly!

I agree it's good to not eat food high in trans fats on a daily basis, but we don't eat cake and icing every day.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:46pm
post #28 of 30
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly!

I agree it's good to not eat food high in trans fats on a daily basis, but we don't eat cake and icing every day.

Sorry you deprived human icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 7:14pm
post #29 of 30

Thanks, I hope you can find finding the shortening that works best for you. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly!

Sorry you deprived human icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Every other day maybe......... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%