Self-Healing Mat Question

Decorating By beccachris Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm by beccachris

beccachris Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 5

I wondered if anyone has ever used a self-healing mat to roll/cut out fondant or gumpaste on?

I have a laminate countertop and do not want to risk discoloring or cutting my countertop working with fondant. I have a couple of the mats to roll fondant on, but you can't cut on those or you cut the mat.

Wal-Mart has a self-healing mat by Fiskars in the sewing section and I wondered if I could use that for rolling/cutting my fondant and gumpaste?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 5

I bought a mat at Hobby Lobby that's just like the flexible cutting mats for food only much was in the coloring book aisle and it was marketed for kids

tracycakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 5

I use one that I got for scrapbook, probably the same thing, and I love it. I don't even have to use ps or cornstarch on it.

artscallion Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 5

I have several in different sizes from my days in art school. Check your local art supply store (not a craft store like Michaels, but a place that college art majors and fine artists/painters frequent) You may find them cheaper there.

I do all my gumpaste and decoration making work on them. I don't use them for rolling out fondant to cover a cake with because my counter works just fine for that. And the ones I've seen aren't skid proof. I'd think they'd have a tendency to slide around while you were rolling, unless you lay down those thin woven rubber carpet pads under them. (BTW, I buy those pads and cut them up into 6" squares. Place one under a cake plate to prevent sliding. They also make great jar openers.)

beccachris Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions! I thought it would work, but just hated to spend $30 on it, and not be able to use it. Looks like a trip to Wally World may be in order! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%