Self-Healing Mat Question

Decorating By beccachris Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm by beccachris

beccachris Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 5

I wondered if anyone has ever used a self-healing mat to roll/cut out fondant or gumpaste on?

I have a laminate countertop and do not want to risk discoloring or cutting my countertop working with fondant. I have a couple of the mats to roll fondant on, but you can't cut on those or you cut the mat.

Wal-Mart has a self-healing mat by Fiskars in the sewing section and I wondered if I could use that for rolling/cutting my fondant and gumpaste?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 5

I bought a mat at Hobby Lobby that's just like the flexible cutting mats for food only much bigger...it was in the coloring book aisle and it was marketed for kids http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=46307&dep=50&cat=2&subcat=55&Search=Y

tracycakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 5

I use one that I got for scrapbook, probably the same thing, and I love it. I don't even have to use ps or cornstarch on it.

artscallion Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 5

I have several in different sizes from my days in art school. Check your local art supply store (not a craft store like Michaels, but a place that college art majors and fine artists/painters frequent) You may find them cheaper there.

I do all my gumpaste and decoration making work on them. I don't use them for rolling out fondant to cover a cake with because my counter works just fine for that. And the ones I've seen aren't skid proof. I'd think they'd have a tendency to slide around while you were rolling, unless you lay down those thin woven rubber carpet pads under them. (BTW, I buy those pads and cut them up into 6" squares. Place one under a cake plate to prevent sliding. They also make great jar openers.)

beccachris Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions! I thought it would work, but just hated to spend $30 on it, and not be able to use it. Looks like a trip to Wally World may be in order! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%