For Nfsc What If I Use Half The Baking Powder?

Baking By lizamlin Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 5:38am by devorie

lizamlin Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 20

Has anyone done this?

I'm hoping to have the cookies remain closer in size to the actual cookie cutter (with recipe as-is, the cookies get a bit larger than the cutter).

Might it affect texture, taste and baking time *noticeably* or do you think I could get away with it?

19 replies
KHalstead Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 20

I omit ALL of the baking powder with no change in texture or flavor

Here is my revamped NFSC:

The result is a cookie that is crisp to the touch and sturdy, yet soft and chewy when you bite into it

3 cups of sugar
2 sticks of butter
1 cup of shortening

Mix these very well until light in color and fluffy

3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract (optional)

Mix to incorporate

Mix in separate bowl:
1-4oz. box of instant pudding (any flavor you choose)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt (if you use salted butter, leave out the salt)

Add this to the butter mixture and blend well.
Then continue to add up to 4 cups more of flour until the dough forms a ball.

It will still seem soft and might seem a bit sticky, let it rest for 5 minutes, the pudding will firm it up.

I roll it out immediately between 2 sheets of wax paper. They are almost exactlly the same size when they're done baking that they are when they go in the oven.

I remove them after about 7 or 8 minutes (for a 3-4" cookie) just when the tops aren't shiny anymore and there is just the slightest bit of coloring around the edges. Remove and let cool for 10 min. on the cookie sheet (don't move or they'll break apart)

Rosie2 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 20

I omit the baking powder alltogether---not only do I hate the flavor of BP but I don't want my cookies to loose it's shape.

Khalstead, wow your recipe sounds yummy!!! I think I'll try it next time icon_smile.gif thank you!!!

lizamlin Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 20

Yay! Oh thanks so much - and such a quick response! Woo-hoo!

luv2bake6 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 20

Yes, thank you so much for your recipe. Do you find shortening to make a big difference in the spreading or taste?

I've read many people who use NFSC omit the bp.

bonniebakes Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:38am
post #6 of 20

I use the original NFSC recipe, but cut the baking powder by 1/3 and add some extra vanilla.

Deb_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:12am
post #7 of 20

Khalstead's recipe ROCKS!! I did my Christmas cookies this year using her version and everyone LOVED them.

Rosie2 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 20

I can't wait to try Khalstead's recipe!!!!!

Thank you again Khalstead!!! thumbs_up.gif

globalgatherings Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:54am
post #9 of 20

KHalstead, can your recipe be doubled without a problem?

Joanne1944 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:57am
post #10 of 20

I do the same as bonniebakes. I use just under 1 tsp baking powder. I either add an extra tsp of vanilla, or better yet, also add 1 tsp almond flavor.

next time I am going to omit the baking powder entirely.

Tiffany29 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:05am
post #11 of 20

I usually cut it in half. The last time I didn't add it at all and they still came out great!

TracyLH Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 20

Ditto on reducing the baking powder. Also make sure that your rolled out dough is well chilled, cut, then chill again and put into a well preheated oven, I roll mine approx. 1/4" and that helps as well. Also do not overcream your sugar. Mixing will cause too many air bubbles which can attribute to spreading.

KHalstead Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 20
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

KHalstead, can your recipe be doubled without a problem?

I don't see why not, although I've never done it because I don't have a mixing bowl big enough to accomodate it! This IS a double batch of most other sugar cookie recipes. I can get anywhere from 40-50 3"-4" cookies out of one batch if I roll to 1/4" thick. So hopefully that will give you an idea of whether or not u need to double it.

I lOVE the texture and taste of these cookies.......I'm doing a test right now with them in fact lol....I've left a cookie at room temp. on my counter with antonia's royal on it for 7 days, and I just tasted it and it's still chewy and delicious.....I have another cookie that I'm going to taste after 2 weeks without being wrapped. I have tasted some that were in a ziploc after 1 month and it still tasted awesome! (brave huh?) So I wanted to see how long they'd last without being sealed in something.

The most important thing is to not overbake. I bake mine at 350 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes...they aren't even what I'd call "browned" around the edges...just barely starting to get the slightest color on the edge and the top isn't shiny/sticky looking.

Then you HAVE to let them rest...they will puff during baking and then once cooled they flatten back out again to a nice smooth surface. BUT if you try to move them too soon they'll fall apart, but once cooled they're very sturdy. I use them in cookie bouquets ALL the time and people are always shocked that the cookies aren't rock hard and crispy, since they think they have to be in order to be stable enough to use in a bouquet.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:21pm
post #14 of 20

KHalstead - are your cookies soft enough for someone with sore teeth from braces? - Right now I can't handle chewing anything harder than a cooked noodle! (All this to save one tooth - I'm too old for this!)

KHalstead Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:36pm
post #15 of 20

lol, not sure if you should be eating cookies! On a serious note though, they are chewy so you'd have to make that call on your own...I would compare them to the consistency of the archway cookies i guess. Not hard or crisp (although they seem like they are when you pick them up), but when you bite into it, it has some chew to not sure how you'd fare with a sore mouth!!

My brother got braces when he was 36, he just got them off this year...he not only had to get braces but for some reason his jaw was off on his bite so they literally had to break his jaw and reconfigure it and then put on braces, you wanna talk about a sore mouth!!! lol

newmansmom2004 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #16 of 20
Originally Posted by lizamlin

Has anyone done this?

I'm hoping to have the cookies remain closer in size to the actual cookie cutter (with recipe as-is, the cookies get a bit larger than the cutter).

Might it affect texture, taste and baking time *noticeably* or do you think I could get away with it?

I never put baking powder (or soda) in my sugar cookies. I like them to be thick and chewy and look coming out the way they look going in. I roll them to about 1/4" and cut them. When they come out they look just like they did going in. In fact, the recipe I have says specifically do NOT use any baking powder.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #17 of 20

KHalstead, I only want the cookies because I can't have them! When my jaw was wired - I wanted McDonald's rib sandwich, after I was unwired, I didn't want it and have never had one. Just warn your brother to keep up with the occassional use of the retainer - I had the major jaw surgery in my 20's, now almost 30 yrs later, one tooth has turned so badly it has affected my bite and I was going to lose it I was not told to use my retainer occassionally. Evidently, if you get braces as an adult = your teeth have developed memory and want to go back to where they were.

globalgatherings Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:24am
post #18 of 20

KHalstead, sorry, one last question, what kind of shortening? Hi-ratio? TIA

They sound delicious, gota try them this weekend thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:05pm
post #19 of 20

nope, just regular vegetable shortening. I buy mine at Save-A-Lot LOL

devorie Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:38am
post #20 of 20

Do you at any point refrigerate the dough?

Quote by @%username% on %date%