What's Too Early To Get A Deposit From A Customer?

Business By brittalicious Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 3:07am by sugarandslice

brittalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittalicious Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 14

Hey everyone I'm opening my cake studio In a couple few months which I'm so nervous but do extremely excited about! I thought it wouldn't happen for another 5 years or so. Anyways my question is... I have people who are getting married in the summer and talking to me now about there cakes, once I have there order how far in advance is to fAr to ask for a deposit to keep that scheduled day and security for me? And what do most of you charge for your deposits? Thanks any tips help meicon_smile.gif u all rock the world lol

13 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 14

In my book, you don't have an order until you've made a deposit. The deposit is what holds the date/slot. Doesn't matter how early or when it is, as long as it's before anyone else puts a deposit down for that date/slot.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 14

I just had a bride send me her deposit for June 2011. I don't accept deposits.bookings until Jan 1 of the year before (say a July 2012 wedding would not be booked until Jan 1 2011). There is such thing as too early, but deposits for this summer is definitely not too early, as long as you can guarantee you will be open by then. Best wishes to you, sounds like you're excited!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 14

It's not too early for a deposit for ANY wedding date THIS year!

The only thing that would make it seem TOO EARLY ever is if it was years in advance. I tell people that book more than a year in advance that their price is not "locked" in, but as soon as it's Jan. 1, of the year before they're getting married...then they get locked into that price. So there is an advantage to booking "early" because prices tend to go up and up and up as the years and months tick by.

brittalicious Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 14

Wow you guys are such great help , and yes I'm extremely excited I can't keep my head straight because it's so full of stuff haha so for say a $250 cake what would the normal deposit be? And do you guys only do deposits on wedding cakes?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 14

It's never too early for a retainer in my book. I don't ask for a percentage though... just a flat $200.00 to book and then the rest is due 30 days before the wedding. So this way I am not locked into a price quote over a year before the date so if prices go up. Consults are usually held 6-9 months in advance (sometimes less) and then they find out their balance at the consult. If someone for some reason wanted to book YEARS in advance... I'd tell them to wait until the date is at least 1.5 years out, but if someone wants to give e their retainer 2 years in advance... I'll take it. icon_lol.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 14

I take deposits on all orders, 50% of the total. That is the only way to hold the date since I am a one person operation and only take a limited number of orders per week.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 14

I take a 50% deposit on regular cake orders and balance on delivery.
For wedding cakes I take a 30% deposit and balance is due 2 weeks before the date. (the only time I don't take a deposit is if it's for a friend or family and I know they will pay the full amount on delivery/pick-up)

I've told one client who wanted to book 1.5years before her wedding that I would do an estimate based on today's prices, take a 30% deposit of that, but that the final $ figure would be worked out 9 months before her date. I didn't want to be caught out by price rises for my ingredients.

I'm so envious that you're opening a shop-front. All the best of luck!

brittalicious Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 14

[quote="sugarandslice"]I take a 50% deposit on regular cake orders and balance on delivery.
For wedding cakes I take a 30% deposit and balance is due 2 weeks before the date. (the only time I don't take a deposit is if it's for a friend or family and I know they will pay the full amount on delivery/pick-up)

I've told one client who wanted to book 1.5years before her wedding that I would do an estimate based on today's prices, take a 30% deposit of that, but that the final $ figure would be worked out 9 months before her date. I didn't want to be caught out by price rises for my ingredients.

I'm so envious that you're opening a shop-front. All the best of luck![/quote

Thank you for the help everyone and thank you for all the good lucksicon_smile.gif I have to figure out my set up and any ideas on what can be done for a grand opening? icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 14

People routinely book me 6 - 10 months prior. It's NORMAL for summer brides to be booking now.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #11 of 14

For weddings I require a 50% NON-REFUNDABLE deposit and the rest is due 30 days before the reception.

For other orders 50% non-refundable and the rest due at time of pick-up and delivery.

sugarandslice Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:56am
post #12 of 14

I agree with cakesbycathy and forgot to say that all deposits are non-refundable. I put that in writing on the quote I give each customer

brittalicious Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:55am
post #13 of 14

Damn now another question anyone have a quote sheet they could share with me?

sugarandslice Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:07am
post #14 of 14

If you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of mine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%