Gold Sanding Sugar & Pearl Dust Vs. Petal Dust

Decorating By KATHIESKREATIONS Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 10:37pm by KATHIESKREATIONS

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! I am new here & was wondering if anyone could please tell me what Gold Sanding Sugar is & where I can get it & ALSO, is Wilton's Pearl Dust the same as I am seeing here for Petal Dust used on the Fondnat new born babies? icon_confused.gif

7 replies
JanH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 8

..moving to Cake Decorating forum. icon_smile.gif

artscallion Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 8

Sanding sugars are large crystal sugars that are less apt to melt. They are also more sparkly than regular sugar. I often use sanding sugars. But I was not happy with the gold and silver varieties I've purchased. They seemed more like brown and grey sugar than gold and silver. You can order this online at most decorating supply sites.

Pearl dust is a very very fine powder that gives a pearl-like shimmer to anything you brush it on. Super Pearl dust is a more intense version of this. Petal dust is usually a very very fine colored powder used in much the same way. Instead of shimmer, petal dusts add color to things like gum paste flower petals to a blush on the cheeks of a modeled figure.

You can also use dusts as you would a liquid paint, by mixing them with a clear edible alcohol, such as vodka or lemon extract.

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 8

You can get gold sanding sugar at www.fondant source.com (take out the spaces) for $2.29 for 1lb. You can also find smaller containers of it at Hobby Lobby or Joann's...they cost more but you don't have to pay shipping.

Wilton's pearl dust is more like luster dust than like petal dust. Petal dust is just a color, luster dust and Wilton's pearl dust have some sparkle to them.

For things that are not edible, you can buy non-toxic artists chalk and grate it to use as cheap petal dust. I use it for gumpaste flowers sometimes.

I used different shades of Wilton's pearl dust on these roses: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1516236⊂=1516240

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

You can get gold sanding sugar at www.fondant source.com (take out the spaces) for $2.29 for 1lb. You can also find smaller containers of it at Hobby Lobby or Joann's...they cost more but you don't have to pay shipping.

Wilton's pearl dust is more like luster dust than like petal dust. Petal dust is just a color, luster dust and Wilton's pearl dust have some sparkle to them.

For things that are not edible, you can buy non-toxic artists chalk and grate it to use as cheap petal dust. I use it for gumpaste flowers sometimes.

I used different shades of Wilton's pearl dust on these roses: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1516236⊂=1516240

Thank you so much for your information!! Texas_Rose, I love the way you did your roses instead of just using different colors of icing!! I can't wait to try this technique.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 8

Artscallion, I wanted to thank you also for your information. I wanted to use the Gold Sanding Sugar for making a beach scene. I was going to just use brown sugar & someone suggested the Gold Sanding Sugar.

sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 8

The gold sanding sugar is rather dull looking in person. More of a dingy beige that wants to be gold.
I think Crushed graham cracker crumbs would be better or crushed up Nilla Wafer cookies.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you, Sadsmile. Another person on here, I am sorry I don't remember who that was, said she uses Vanilla Wafers & chocolate sprinkles blended in a food processor & then adds gold sanding sugar by hand for her sand effect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%