What's Missing

Decorating By torysgirl87 Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm by torysgirl87

torysgirl87 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 6

This cake is really missing something. I'm not impressed w/ it at all. I'm entering it in an art competition at work that requires a visual art form of painting and sculpting so I did brush embroidery and I wanted to add tulips made by hand. I made a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant tulip last night w/ the wilton set and just hated it. I want a tulip with pointed petals like the picture below to resemble the tulip embossed on the cake. Help me out please. Too late to start over...what can I do to improve this cake? TIA

5 replies
jammjenks Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 6

Is there any way to trim the tulip petals after you cut them with the cutters?

Maybe you could put a bow in a style like this:

or butterflies:

I do agree with you that it needs something to complete the look.

torysgirl87 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your reply & suggestion. Cutting the petals may work. Maybe I was tired, but I had a hard time with that flower. I was thinking of getting a gumpaste tulip petal cutter and using it upside down. I had difficulty w/ the wilton cutter b/c it takes a shortcut and cuts 3 petals at once.

newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 6

Well, I'm from the school of thought where "less is more" and I really love your cake just as it is. It's got color, but not too much, and a decorating technique that really pops when you see it done in person.

I think it's perfect!

_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 6

I think it's perfect, facing the guests like pic# 102_0101. icon_smile.gif

torysgirl87 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate and need them right now! The entry must be turned in by 11:59 pm tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%