Chocolate Ganache Tips Please

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm by MissCakeCrazy

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:07am
post #1 of 8

I keep hearing about Chocolate Ganache and have been wanting to try it. I was thinking about using it as a filling in my daughter's birthday cake. I am going to make a chocolate cake wth strawberry buttercream.

Do you think the ganache would taste alright as a filling?
Would the cake need to be refridgerated after I fill and frost it?
Any other tips you can think of?

Thanks!

7 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:25am
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanksharla

I keep hearing about Chocolate Ganache and have been wanting to try it. I was thinking about using it as a filling in my daughter's birthday cake.
Perfect -

I am going to make a chocolate cake wth strawberry buttercream.

Do you think the ganache would taste alright as a filling? It is the most requested filling i get asked for -
Actually it is probably the most requestd filling in Australia -
Would the cake need to be refridgerated after I fill and frost it?
What is the time span between finishing the cake and serving it?
Ganache does not require to be put in the fridge - well as long as it isn't 40C in the shade.

Any other tips you can think of?
Use a good quality chocolate - as that will give you a better ganache -
Don't use chocolate buttons as they don't have a high % of cocoa -
As soon as your cream comes to the boil - take it off the heat - nothing worse than that burnt tinge taste to ganache.

Bluehue.

Thanks!

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 8

I have never heard of boiling the cream. All I do is melt the chocolate, then whisk into the double cream. makes it nice and frothly.

Bluehue Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 8

Yet over here we bring the cream to *just boil* and then pour it over the cold chocolate - and then whip.
Depending how long you whip it, depends on it either being *creamy or frothy*

Same end result i guess - just different methods to begin with.

Quicker to heat the cream perhaps?

Bluehue.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 8

I haven't made ganache a lot, but I always boil the cream with a bit of sugar and vanilla, then pour over the chocolate (broke into pieces), let sit for a couple minutes, then mix gently so as to not get air bubbles in it... That is for the pour-over-the-top type of ganache. For whipped I guess the air bubbles really don't matter!! I just assumed that melting the chocolate sometimes leads to the chocolate not tasting as good.

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 8

Can I make the cake with the ganache the day before? Or is it best to do it the day of her party?

Bluehue Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, you can make it the day before - and with ganache it will be fine to leave it out of the fridge.

Bluehue

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 8

If its a firm ganache i.e. 2 parts choc to 1 part cream, DON'T put in the fridge. I learnt this from experience. I put in the fridge for an hour ro firm before I spread it along the sides of a cake. Big mistake. It would spread easily, even after whisking again. If you are going to spread over cake before covering in fondant, spead it while its fresh and soft, then leave to set. I know you are only going to use it as a filling, but this is for your future reference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%