Fondant In The Freezer?

Decorating By jlh Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 8:56am by carmijok

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:20am
post #1 of 2

I make ice cream cakes. I've used fondant accents before, and had no problem with moisture from the freezer. This time, I am making a fondant bow (with multiple loops, held together with chocolate). The cake will be out of my hands, and will be kept frozen by someone else for 24 hours. I'm afraid to attach the bow, and have it sit frozen for so long. Won't the moisture in the freezer cause the loops to moisten, bend, and eventually break? I don't have any dried pieces right now to practice with, and this cake is due. What are your thoughts on a bow in the freezer? She's afraid to attach the bow herself before the party!! THANKS!

1 reply
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:56am
post #2 of 2

I can only respond from experience working at a bakery. We never kept frozen cakes. We mostly sold buttercream cakes so they had to be refrigerated. And the ones with fondant elements we had to leave in the cooler overnight were boxed and tightly taped so as not to allow the moisture in. We sometimes had to instruct customers how to attach the bow (usually with a picture of the finished product). However, if you are using this as a topper, perhaps you can piece the bow together assembled on a flat disc of gum paste or fondant so all the client has to do is place it in one piece on top of the cake. Does that make any sense? Just an idea.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%