How Much?

Decorating By LaJoanna Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 2:58pm by TexasSugar

LaJoanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaJoanna Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:00am
post #1 of 16

I know every1 is different but how much would u charge a good friend for a bc cake with a rice crispy fondant covered pineapple n some fondant cutouts filling chocolate . Im not sure what to charge my friend oh how I suck with the whole friend charging could any1 help[? advice icon_sad.gif

15 replies
snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaJoanna Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:23am
post #3 of 16
Quote:

well yea yeah the real ? im trying to get at is do y9ou charge your close friends differently ? A percentage off? >...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:25am
post #4 of 16

..moving to General forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJoanna

well yea yeah the real ? im trying to get at is do y9ou charge your close friends differently ? A percentage off? >...

Snowboarder isn't giving you the fish, she's trying to teach you how to fish. icon_smile.gif

HTH

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:26am
post #5 of 16

That is completely personal and no one is going to (I hope not) tell you what to charge your friends. I would think if it isn't a financial burden to make nothing from the cake, than I would be inclined to charge whatever it cost me, plus a few bucks.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:26am
post #6 of 16

Personally, I let my friends pay for ingredients but I don't charge anything extra. It's not legal to have a home cake business where I live and probably I shouldn't even be letting them pay for ingredients, but I can't afford to do it otherwise and it's still cheaper for them than buying a cake somewhere. Anyhow, I only do cakes if it's a technique that I've been wanting to try or if it's something I would like to add to my portfolio. If someone brings me a photo of a cake that I don't like and wants me to copy it, I'm too busy that weekend icon_biggrin.gif

LaJoanna Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:29am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

That is completely personal and no one is going to (I hope not) tell you what to charge your friends. I would think if it isn't a financial burden to make nothing from the cake, than I would be inclined to charge whatever it cost me, plus a few bucks.

Yea true, I feel like at times my family expects me to just make them free cakes etc and it is annoying friends im willing to discount. Im just starting as you can figure since im asking a dumb ? as some may think I am. Sorry

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:32am
post #8 of 16

I totally agree with both Jamie and Texas Rose. For close friends or family, I just give them a list of what I am gonna need to bake a cake and decorate it and they bring it to me. It makes for great practice and they can't say they were charged too much or treated unfairly if it doesn't turn out exactly like they think it should. lol

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:37am
post #9 of 16

There's no such thing as a dumb question icon_biggrin.gif So don't let anyone make you feel bad.

I make free cakes for my family as long as it's for a family event I've been invited to (unless they need cake for 300 or something, in which case they WILL be buying the ingredients) and as long as I offer to make the cake. If they demand a cake sometimes I get a little grouchy. But if they want a cake to take to their best friend or something like that, then they buy the ingredients. And I tell them not to tell anyone how much it was, I don't want some friend of a friend of a relative thinking they can get an amazing cake from me for $20.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:21am
post #10 of 16

Charge as much as YOUR comfortable with. If they are friends they will understand. If not, I guess they weren't friends.

Mike

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 11:37am
post #11 of 16

$10.99

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJoanna

I know every1 is different but how much would u charge a good friend for a bc cake with a rice crispy fondant covered pineapple n some fondant cutouts filling chocolate . Im not sure what to charge my friend oh how I suck with the whole friend charging could any1 help[? advice icon_sad.gif

How much do you charge per serving for your cakes? How many servings does the cake you're making serve?

Ask yourself those 2 questions and then multiply the 2 numbers you come up with and there is your price. Charge extra for the pineapple thingy.

Easy peazy! icon_smile.gif

That's how I would figure out the price since everyone pays me the same amount.....unless you're my immediate family. icon_wink.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 16

DH or my parents: free (but they always give me $)
DH or my siblings: 15% discount
friends and everyone else: full price

We have a great relationship with our parents and siblings, so we all do things for each other all the time. I figure it all works itself out over time.

Now, this is for regular occasion cakes. Wedding cakes are a whole 'nuther ballgame. icon_biggrin.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:18pm
post #14 of 16

I say if they are a really good friend that you trust and values you, give them a good discount, but make sure they have a price list so the discount is not the assumed price in the future - just a favor.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:32pm
post #15 of 16

I'm just starting out so I have been giving my friends a discount. I want to ensure that they'll buy from me and hope to get some exposure at their event (birthday party, baby shower, etc). But I also tell them they're getting the "friends & family" discount so they don't expect it to be so cheap every time. Once I'm more established I'll stop with the discounts icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:58pm
post #16 of 16

Did they ask you to make the cake or did you offer it?

If I offer, it is free. If you ask, then you pay.

I don't do friend discounts outside of doing my best friend's childrens cakes free. It is really easy to have friends coming out of the woodwork then wanting cakes for every occasion.

I also think it depends on the size of your friend list. If you only have one or two really close friends and want to do discounts for them that is one thing. But if you have a large friend base and 20 people want discounts that is going to get old.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%