Need Help With Coconut Cake

Decorating By kaseyrconnect Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm by cakesrock

kaseyrconnect Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:38am
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make a coconut cake with key lime filling. In the past I have used a box coconut cake mix but they didn't have any at the grocery store tonight. I bought white cake mixes, a package of coconut and an instant coconut cream pudding mix. I also have a bottle of coconut flavoring. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I should do this? Can I just add coconut to the white cake mix? Can I use instant pudding in the cake mix? Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

7 replies
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:43am
post #2 of 8

I just made coconut cake last week using coconut flavor, white mix, and regular coconut...I could not find the coconut pudding.

But to do it again, I would use coconut pudding and extra egg (and 1/3 cup less water)...white cake mix...and maybe even replace some of the water with coconut milk (found in the ethnic section of the grocery store) and then some extract. That ought to do it!

SandiOh Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:46am
post #3 of 8

1 pkg plain white cake
1 1/3 cups coconut milk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 lg eggs
2 tsp coconut flavoring

From the cake mix doctor cookbook. yummy.
oops...I see you don't have coconut milk on your list. Anne Byrn, the author of the cookbook states you can use regular whole milk in place of coconut milk.

kaseyrconnect Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:55am
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much to both of you! I guess I have everything that I need, except for the coconut milk. This really helped because I didn't want to just start dumping stuff into the batter without a real plan. Thanks again for the help.

madgeowens Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #5 of 8

I just made one yesterday only I made the cake yellow and used the coconur cream pudding for filling.......and coconut on sides it was yummy.

cakesrock Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:49am
post #6 of 8

There is an excellent coconut cake in recipes (white cakes) by Frankyola. I recently tried it for my good friend's b-day cake -she LOVES coconut stuff and she thought it was wonderful. I also tested it on some tough critics (family and friends) and they also loved it. It is rated 10/10 (30 votes cast). So, I would recommend this one... icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:02am
post #7 of 8

as a matter of fact my avitar is that cake lol, I just noticed

cakesrock Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 8

too funny! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%