"cool Whip Icing" On Walmart Bakery Cake?

Decorating By mommybrooke Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm by newmansmom2004

mommybrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybrooke Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:55am
post #1 of 16

I have a friend who says she always use to get cakes at the walmart bakery and asked for "cool whip icing". She said it wasn't sweet like buttercream is. I have NO clue what she is talking about? Does anyone happen to know?

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #2 of 16

Walmart uses something called Butt-R-Creme. You can buy Rich's Bettercreme, which is a liquid that you whip in the mixer and it makes that fluffy stuff that's not as sweet as buttercream. It also doesn't have to be refrigerated once it's on the cake and you can pipe decorations with it, which you can't with real whipped cream.

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:26am
post #3 of 16

Sam's sells the Butt-R-Creme as well as a whipped type frosting in 5 gallon tubs. I have used the Butt-R-Creme but not the whipped. The people in their bakery will tell you more about it if you ask. Hope this helps.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #4 of 16

And one advantage is it will last through nuclear explosions and has a shelf life of 1.2 lightyears. icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:45am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

And one advantage is it will last through nuclear explosions and has a shelf life of 1.2 lightyears. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Somehow when I read butt-r-creme I always think of Boudreaux's Butt Paste icon_biggrin.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:47am
post #6 of 16

There's a reason why they call it Butt 'R' Creme instead of buttercream.

Because it contains neither butter or cream. icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: and to offer my answer to the OP question, yes, your friend was talking about Rich's Bettercream. It can be bought online unwhipped or prewhipped, but Walmart and Sam's Club only sells it prewhipped.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:19am
post #7 of 16

How can anyone take something called "Butt-R-anything" seriously?!?icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:41am
post #8 of 16

If you want to make your own less sweet buttercream, The Whimiscal Bakehouse recipe for buttercream is good. I have one customer that doesn't like really sweet stuff that I make it for.

You can google the recipe, or pm me and I can give it to you.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:52am
post #9 of 16

The Sam's carries But-R-Creme (made by Dawn Food) which is a traditional buttercream frosting:

http://www.dawnfoods.com/Public/Dynamic/Products/ProductsCategory2.asp?cat0=17&cat1=46&PTid=2

The Sam's also carries Rich's Bettercreme (made by Rich) which is whipped non-dairy icing:

http://www.rich.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

Either product can be purchased at the Sam's bakery dept.

HTH

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:55am
post #10 of 16

I do know that I'd never want something with "butt" separated from the rest of the word in my mouth. Butter? OK. Butt-er? Ah-no thanks.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:20am
post #11 of 16

You all are fun-ny lol,lol but do agree not butt in my mouth eather. just pure butter..

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:09am
post #12 of 16

The whipped icing like cool whip is in the big pail for $19.50 or so (chocolate or vanilla). My husband picked it up for me and although I can taste the cool whip flavoring, the kids like it and its quick and easy.

And the Sam's club regular icing in the huge tub for $30 or so is wonderful when whipped on high with some boiling water. Its creamy and light. The chocolate is excellent as well. And much more affordable then when I made it myself. Tasted great too. I added a bit of super expensive duth processed cocoa and it was dark and rich and insane.

And yes, I'm sure most of you will gag a bit. Or wonder why I would add good chocolate to a pre-made product but in my experience, the tastiest things I have made (besides the carrot cake, banana cake and cheesecakes, which are all made using no pre-packaged ingredients) are a combo of package stuff and rich ingredients.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:21pm
post #13 of 16

If you have a GFS Marketplace in your area, they carry the liquid in quart size cartons too.

SBOG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBOG Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 16

Since it is like whipped cream, does it melt after being out for a while like whipped cream does? After it is on the cake, does it have to be refrigerated before serving?

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:47pm
post #15 of 16

[quote="LoriMc"]If you want to make your own less sweet buttercream, The Whimiscal Bakehouse recipe for buttercream is good. I have one customer that doesn't like really sweet stuff that I make it for.

You can google the recipe, or pm me and I can give it to you.[/quote

I LOVE the buttecream recipe from the Whimsical Bakehouse...it is sooo smooth and creamy and not as shockingly sweet as others! icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Somehow when I read butt-r-creme I always think of Boudreaux's Butt Paste icon_biggrin.gif

ME, TOO!!!! Who calls an icing "Butt-R-Cream"??? Cracked me up (no pun intended). icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%