Yellow Cake Recipe Variations For Different Size Pans?

Baking By kevinmcc Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 3:29am by kevinmcc

kevinmcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kevinmcc Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:55am
post #1 of 6

If I make from-scratch yellow cake, is there a guide somewhere for varying the ingredients in the recipe for different size pans? my current cookbooks just have recipes for standard 2 9" round cakes.

Thanks!

5 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:09am
post #2 of 6

Nope. Although some have a bakery sized recipe for large orders. icon_wink.gif Make up your batter use what you need and freeze the rest for next time.

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:20am
post #3 of 6

Blessings kevinmcc

I don't know of any guide, but what works for me is perfecting making the recipe from scratch and then tweaking it for my needs ... of course you will change the recipe if you simply want to make a smaller sized cake. When I say that I mean, you will find different ingredient quantities if you look in a book that is specifically for small batches ... "Small Batch Baking" by Debbie Maugans Nagos. And if you know you need to make lots of layers then doubling up on the recipe is the thing to do. But I sincerely do not know of a guide like the one in which you are speaking. If there is such a thing hopefully another decorator can be of more help, if not hope this was helpful to you. Bless!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 6

I have a maderia recipe that lists ingredients by lots of size pans....would that help? Oh and it's also in metric...not sure if that's a prob

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:41am
post #5 of 6

I don't know if it will help, but here is a link to the Wilton guide that tells how many cups of batter to a pan. Maybe if you make up one recipe worth and see how much batter is made from the one recipe, then work it out from that?

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

kevinmcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kevinmcc Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:29am
post #6 of 6

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I think the Wilton conversion could work best. I'm using the golden layer cake recipe from "The Cake Book". It's ingredients are for 2 9" cake pans. Great recipe; the results turned out beautifully. I just never checked how many cups it actually produced. Oh, when will KitchenAid make that nice glass bowl/measuring cup for my pro 600?!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%