What To Wear Question

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 5:16pm by Ruth0209

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:46am
post #1 of 10

Hubby and I are having a little debate...as always, we need help settling it. He has a job interview tomorrow. He's been a security guard for ten years, and the last time he had to look for a job, everyone else applying was wearing jeans and t-shirts, and so did he, and got hired. Well, that was 5 years ago. He's gone to apply for a couple of jobs in the last month and at one place, everyone was wearing khaki pants, long sleeves and ties. At the other place, they didn't let him in to fill out an application because he was wearing jeans (keep in mind that was a place that only paid $8 an hour and they still wanted them all dressed up).

The interview he's going to tomorrow is at a large corporation, again for a security guard job. Over his protests, I bought him a pair of khakis and a braided belt, so the bottom half is covered. What we can't agree on is, should he wear a polo-type shirt or a regular dress shirt? He's got some really nice dress shirts and I think it's better to be overdressed, but he's insisting he needs to wear his lucky shirt.

I think he's insulted by the idea of needing to dress up...he thinks his licenses and experience should be good enough. This is the man who wore jeans to our wedding. I only talked him into the khakis by pointing out that he wears slacks to work, so why not to an interview.

9 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #2 of 10

Dress shirt with a tie and a jacket. It doesn't matter how he feels (about this outfit) it's the corporate environment...you dress to fit in. Once you're in..then you adapt to the everyday wear.

Not only that...there are probably 10 other people being interviewed...he needs to bring his "A" game.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #3 of 10

When I used to hire people and they came in, in shirts and jeans, I thanked them, watched them leave, then turned around and put their application in the trash. You are absolutely right. I always felt that if they really cared about wanting a job, they would look like it. People have even more to prove in todays job market.

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:27am
post #4 of 10

Dress for the job you want to have. Does he want to do security or be the head of security?

I also throw out apps from people coming in dressed in jeans. (also teens or young adults that come in with friends.)

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 10

I've only shown up to an interview in jeans twice: once in high school for a fast food job (I wore a nice sweater though), and the second time because I got drenched from a rain shower before the interview and didn't have another pair of khakis or a blouse (this was for a student job in college).

I have dressed up for every other job interview, even one I was guaranteed to get (my current job).

The phrase, "Time to wear some big boy clothes" keeps popping into my head because I just read a book where the main guy was proud that he had gone out and bought "big boy clothes." icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 10

I say it is go with your best foot forward. Apparences still count. If you come in looking professional and act professional, that is steps above coming in casual and them having to question your professionalism.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 10

I think he's going to wear the khakis and a black golf shirt. He reminded me that he doesn't have the one thing you need most to wear a tie...a neck. He's had jobs before where they were supposed to wear a tie with the uniform, and when his supervisors saw how weird a tie looked on him, they said he didn't have to wear it. It happened two different places.

His khakis are the good kind, no weird pockets or anything like that (because I didn't take him with me when I bought them). And it's cold enough to wear his black leather jacket. So that will have to be good enough and I guess I'll quit worrying.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 10

Well ya got him dressed. Good Luck I hope it works out.

Mike

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 10

Okay. I actually teach this to high school students, and have done some research (wow, I AM a nerd!). Dress pants, long sleeved dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes are required. If he is serious about getting the job, he should also drop off a thank you note after the interview. It just has to say "Thank you for your time". Trust me, it works.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I think he's going to wear the khakis and a black golf shirt. He reminded me that he doesn't have the one thing you need most to wear a tie...a neck. He's had jobs before where they were supposed to wear a tie with the uniform, and when his supervisors saw how weird a tie looked on him, they said he didn't have to wear it. It happened two different places.

His khakis are the good kind, no weird pockets or anything like that (because I didn't take him with me when I bought them). And it's cold enough to wear his black leather jacket. So that will have to be good enough and I guess I'll quit worrying.

That sounds like an appropriate outfit. I'm glad to hear you bought nice slacks and not cargo pants with all the pockets. I don't think a tie is always necessary. A nice long sleeved button down shirt open at the throat looks nice, and so does the golf shirt. No wrinkles!

Just remind your husband that the interviewer will UNCONSCIOUSLY size him up the minute he lays eyes on him, and that will influence the interview even if the interviewer doesn't realize it. He doesn't want to look like he dressed up to go out and mow the lawn, especially in a corporate environment. GOOD LUCK TO HIM!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%