Fondant Help!

Decorating By cayleigh Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm by cayleigh

cayleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cayleigh Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:27am
post #1 of 6

my sister is letting do her wedding cake. its in july so i need to get my plan on now!! and i need some help. she wants fondant. is the satin ice fondant good? I was going to make MMF but to buy would be much easier. possiblly 300 peeps! On the fondant do you think it will uphold in TN july HOT weather? What is a good buttercream to put underneath? I usually tweak the buttercream dream? would it be ok to start decorated thursday? if i start thursday would the cake be dry tasting by sat evening? Thanks for all your help!!!!!

5 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:58am
post #2 of 6

Yes, satin ice fondant is good. But I think MMF is just as good and cheaper! Doesn't take long to make. IndyDebi's buttercream is the best for holding up in hot weather and it's very tasty and not as sweet as Wilton's, I find. I decorate my cakes with fondant and freeze up to a month. But a couple of days on the counter would be just fine. If you do freeze, then make sure you wrap really well (glad press n' seal and 2-3 garbage bags over that) and let it thaw and come to room temp several hours with the wrappings on, so the condensation will come off on the wrappings. Then let it air dry at least a couple of hours cause it will be sticky icon_smile.gif

katystinykitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katystinykitchen Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:14am
post #3 of 6

I love Satin Ice, but I only use it for colors like black and red so they are nice and dark. If you are doing white, I would recommend MMF. The cake should be fine left out on the counter for a day or two! Good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:22am
post #4 of 6

I use Indydebi's buttercream and it holds up pretty well in the heat. If the cake is going to be sitting out in the heat though I don't know of anything that will hold up very long. If it's indoors and you're just worried about transporting it in the heat, as long as you've got air conditioning in the car you'll be fine icon_biggrin.gif

You could make the MMF ahead of time if you want to use it, make a batch or two and then freeze it, whenever you have time, until you've got enough made. But I agree, buying fondant would be a lot easier.

The fondant will keep the cake moist, so if you start covering them on thurs they'll still be just fine on Sat.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:52am
post #5 of 6

Satin Ice is ok but I like my mmf better, and its way way cheaper.

cayleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cayleigh Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 6

so if she decides she doesnt want fondant. Would the indydebi's buttercream be fine. have you all ever iced but not decorated and put in freezer. how is the taste? How would you cover? Ive seen on tv them putting just iced cakes in freezer ? Thanks for your help!! I am going to do some testers. My mom has a up right freezer that will come in handy!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%