Masonite From Lowe's?

Decorating By greengyrl26 Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm by Mike1394

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:25am
post #1 of 17

I swear I read about this in a post a few weeks back. I've tried to search for it, but everytime I click on one of the search results, it takes me right back to the homepage. Anybody else having issues with this site tonight?

Anyway, someone on here said that they used masonite for cake boards. They go to Lowe's, but a "sheet" and have them cut it up into whatever sizes they need.

I was going to do this tomorrow on my lunch break from work. But tonight I wanted to figure out the sizes for them to cut, so I get the most boards possible from the sheet.

Here's my problem....the Lowe's website is down. Weird...I know. But, can anyone tell me what size these sheets come in? I mean are they like 4 feet by 6 feet or similar? If any of you have ever done this, please let me know.

Thanks!

16 replies
cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:41am
post #2 of 17

that's where I buy mine. Comes in a 4 x 8 sheet and they will cut it for you. icon_smile.gif HTH

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:43am
post #3 of 17

But they don't cut rounds though right, just squares/rectangles?

cakedesigner59 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 17

Never asked them to cut a round, so can't answer that. Sorry.

greengyrl26 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 17

Hmmm....I need rounds cut too. Guess I'll go at lunch & see what they say!

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 17

Ohhh greengyrl26, would love to know what you find out at Lowe's. Will they cut rounds? icon_razz.gif ...that would be exciting!

greengyrl26 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedesigner59

that's where I buy mine. Comes in a 4 x 8 sheet and they will cut it for you. icon_smile.gif HTH

Do you have it already mapped out for them, like where to cut? Do you have a sheet that you give them? If so, would you mind sharing???

Thanks!

cakedesigner59 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 17

I only have them cut it several times to make it more managable to put in the car....hubby cuts it for me into cake boards as I need them when I bring it home. Sorry! But I do know they will cut it for you.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 17

I've just had them cut into 20" squares and hubby would cut them smaller if needed. I've never asked them to cut circles.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 17

They will NOT cut into circles.

Mike

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 17

I just bring the whole sheet home in the flatbed truck...hubby and I cut it from there. I wouldn't trust those guys to cut a good circle anyway.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 17

My hubby would be crushed if I asked Lowe's to cut my cake boards. He'll take any excuse to fire up the tools in his workshop!

greengyrl26 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #13 of 17

Well...my hubby isn't the crafty one in the family & we don't have a saw at home, so...Lowe's it is! I just got back. Turns out, my Lowe's only sells Masonite in 1/8" sheets. Way too flimsy for what I need. So, I ended up with 1/2" MDF. They cut it all for me, and I wound up with 29 boards for roughly $27. Woo-hoo!!!

Oh, and no. They do not cut rounds. They can't. Their saw is on this cable system thingy (like my tech speak?), and it only goes straight up & down & sideways. No curves possible. icon_sad.gif

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:27pm
post #14 of 17

Will they cut any size square? I don't have any tools, so I'm wondering if Lowe's will cut 12-14" squares if need be? Is there a minimum order?

Mike1394 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lngo

Will they cut any size square? I don't have any tools, so I'm wondering if Lowe's will cut 12-14" squares if need be? Is there a minimum order?

They will cut any size square you want.

Mike

greengyrl26 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:40pm
post #16 of 17

Yep. Any size. I had several 16" squares, 14" squares, 10" squares & even some rectangle ones for sheet cakes. One thing to note though...when I went to pay, the cashier mentioned that you only get 2 cuts for free, and they charge for all of the rest of them. I told her that no one said anything like that to me, and she didn't charge me. Just fyi....

Mike1394 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

Yep. Any size. I had several 16" squares, 14" squares, 10" squares & even some rectangle ones for sheet cakes. One thing to note though...when I went to pay, the cashier mentioned that you only get 2 cuts for free, and they charge for all of the rest of them. I told her that no one said anything like that to me, and she didn't charge me. Just fyi....

Yeah the guy doing the cutting has to write a cut slip for you to be charged.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%