Will Bettercreme Make Chocolate Seize?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 12:57am by JCE62108

JCE62108 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #1 of 6

I have a customer who wants a white chocolate whipped filling that doesnt have to be refriderated.

I was wondering if there is a way I can add white chocolate to bettercreme somehow without making the chocolate seize?

If I make it into ganache first, then add it to the whipped icing, would that work?

I dont really want to add the white chocolate flavored pudding because all I can find in my area is sugar free and I dont think it gives it a good flavor at all.

I dont want to use any flavorings either. I really want to find a way to do this with real white chocolate. If this wont work and you have any other ideas Id really appreciate it. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
JanH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:32am
post #2 of 6

Here's a recipe for ganache made with Rich's Bettercreme and chocolate chips:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603285-.html

HTH

KoryAK Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:47am
post #3 of 6

You hit it on the head with making it into ganache first, that's what I was going to suggest icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 6

Woo hoo! Thanks guys! I knew there would have to be a way. I never got a notice that you guys replied to me! I dont know why because I had the little boxed checked. Oh well.

Actually the day after I asked this question, it was late at night and I was bored, so I thought Id try somthing. I melted some chips, then added some liquid bettercream. It got funky at first because the bettercreme was cold, I think. It got lumpy, and I was like oooh crud. But it smoothed out. I think because it started to all warm up as I stirred it. It got nice and smooth.

So I got all excited and dumped more chocolate and bettercreme in the bowl and microwaved it a few seconds more. took it out and stirred it. It seemed different this time. Like it almost wanted to seize. It wasnt burnt, I made sure of that.

I dumped all that into my bowl of already whipped bettercreme and attempted to mix it in. Warm chocolate mix into cold whipped frosting = lumps. Im really dumb and impatient sometimes. It ended up being an odd, lumpy mess...but it tasted good!

Thank you so much for that recipe! Im going to save it right now. Its for a cake this weeked. Ill let you guys know how it turns out. Thank you thank you thank you!

Peridot Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #5 of 6

WOW... Jan H that recipe sounds fantastic and I use Bettercreme all of the time. I need to try this recipe.

Thanks

JCE62108 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #6 of 6

Just wanted to post an update. I tried the recipe and I have to say I didnt like it at all. It looked different than normal ganache...it almost looked like it was separating a bit...almost like it wanted to seize, but not quite.

I let the chocolate sit in the hot bettercreme for about 10 minutes, stirred and it looked smooth. I let it sit awhile longer while I did some other things...stirred it again. I took a spoonful out and looked at it. It had lumps in it. It wasnt un-melted chocolate. It was something else. I let it sit for so long it would have had to have all melted. It was just weird. I cooled it off for about an hour in the fridge, then I put it in my mixer to whip it up a bit and see if that would get the lumps out...no luck. It was grainy and lumpy....but it tasted good! I added it to some softly whipped bettercreme and it tasted fantastic, but the texture was not what I wanted. I ended up using it though. I tried some of it on a cake scrap and you couldnt tell there were lumps at all when you ate it with the cake, so I used it. The customer absolutly loved the cake.

Next time, I will make NORMAL ganache with cream and chocolate, then mix it with whipped bettercreme. Just in case anyone thought about trying this recipe, just thought Id post my experience with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%