Stars Attached With Wire

Decorating By lmpreis Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 1:04am by Cakepro

lmpreis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmpreis Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:14am
post #1 of 6

I was told to use heavy guage florist wire to be inserted into the cake on there end is a star out of fondant. what I didn't think of is that they wire is green. Is this the same that you have used or have you used something different?

Here is a picture of the cake. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6676798-.html#6676798

Thanks!

5 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #2 of 6

The florist wire I use comes in white, green and silver, I use mostly silver but have used the other coolrs as well.
There is jewelry wire that comes in all colors of the rainbow but it is on a spool so it is very hard to get straight, but works well for curly q's and such.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 6

I use the wire on the spool sometimes. You have to hold the ends and pull it over something like the end of a countertop or a thick dowel to get it to straighten. I usually unwrap a long piece and straighten it all at once, then cut it to the sizes I need.

Some people stick the wires directly into the cake but I don't think that's food safe, especially the painted wire. I use hollow plastic lollipop sticks or coffee stirs stuck in the cake and the wire stuck into that. I've heard about dipping the wire in chocolate but that doesn't work well for me...the chocolate breaks off if the wire bends at all.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:57am
post #4 of 6

I use coffee stirrers also, keeps the wire from cutting through the cake as well.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:15am
post #5 of 6

I always use skewers for my stars which may be more thick than you want. I usually paint them with food color to match my cake.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:04am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpreis

I was told to use heavy guage florist wire to be inserted into the cake

No ma'am, you do not stick wire directly into cake. Ever.

Insert a coffee stir straw or regular drinking straw into the cake, and insert your wire into that. Pipe candy melts, chocolate, royal icing, or buttercream inside the straw to anchor the wire in it. Candy melts are best because when the client pulls out the wire, the straw comes with it.

Wire is NOT food safe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%