Helping Others Thru Cake?

Lounge By joy5678 Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm by KHalstead

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:15am
post #1 of 9

Do any of you use your cake talents for a ministry, volunteer services or humanitarian endeavors? I have been thinking about doing something that would benefit others on a continual basis thru cake. If you would share your ideas or stories regarding things that you have already done or have thought of doing, I would really appreciate learning from you and finding a way to use my talents to help others. Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to hearing from all you "Cake Angels"! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:29am
post #2 of 9

I view my caking practices as a win/win/win situation. I was just making cakes for a hobby, but how many cakes can one person eat? Answer: too many icon_redface.gif . So, I began taking orders from friends, family and people at church. Since I'm not a licensed baker, money can never pass through my hands. Instead, I ask people to make a donation in my honor to the local food pantry. You'd be surprised how generous people have been!!! $100 here, $50 there, etc.

So, I get to enjoy the baking, they enjoy the cake, and the food pantry benefits. Win/win/win!!!

My daughter surprised me at Christmas with 100 handmade business cards. They say "Cakes for a Cause, made by Julie Stone to benefit the People's Resource Center." She then added the address and website of the center and a beautifully stamped 3-tier cake!

This has been going so well that I'm actually doing 2-3 cakes per week. This Thursday, I have a large birthday cake, and I have a baptism cake for Sunday.

Today, I made a birthday cake for a boy in the local group foster home. I do that as a freebie, though, whenever they need one.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm very passionate about it!! icon_smile.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:33am
post #3 of 9

wow ! both of you are amazing!
i think anytime 'cake' can help somebody or an organzation--its a good thing.
ive tried to donate my practice cakes to the local shelter, senior center and town hall, but because im not licensed they cannot take any cakes.
i also volunteered to make cakes for kids in need so they will have a birthday cake-again i was told the same thing.
it gets frustating because i would love to donate my cakes and/or bake goods but so far no takers.
i love hearing stories like this.
makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

joy5678 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:38am
post #4 of 9

Julie! Wow, that's exactly the kind of thing I was asking about. What a wonderful idea and your daughter.....so wonderful icon_smile.gif Makes my heart feel good. Are you planning to grow? Sounds like you're gonna be needing some help. Great way to get cake girls together for some fun and fellowship too. Hmmmmm, I'm gonna have to think about this one. Thanks so much for your input and God bless!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:22am
post #5 of 9

Someone on this site posted a link to www.wishuponahero.com. I have become totally addicted to it. I have one persone who I will make a cake for next month. The kid is about 11 and has never had a cake before.
Not many people who post wanting b'day cards etc are anywhere near me so this is the only one so far.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:16am
post #6 of 9

I do all of my cakes for a donation to a charity or directly for charities.

I tell the client the retail value of the cake, they give me the cash equivalent, I give them a money order made out to the charity along with a stamped and addressed envelope. They keep the receipt for their taxes. This ensures that the payment is made properly.

I call it my "pay it forward" cake ministry. If a charity, non-profit, or church needs a cake, I do it for free.

I've found that this works very well. I have lots of repeat business and donations go to all different sorts of charities. It keeps me just busy enough to enjoy what I do, without being overwhelming.

Rae

joy5678 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 5:41am
post #7 of 9

These are some great ideas and giving me some things to think about. Thanks for the web site. Will certainly check it out. You ladies sure spread your blessings to others in a "sweet" way! icon_smile.gif

verisimilitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verisimilitude Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:45am
post #8 of 9

I used to work at a special high school/residential unit for teens who had come from abusive backgrounds, had mental illnesses, etc. I was lucky enough to get to make a cake for a boy who'd never had a cake or birthday party in his life.

It was pretty cool, I loved being able to make him feel special. I made him a cake that looked like a brick wall, but that had his nickname on it in a graffiti style mural because he was really into artwork and street culture. He was so excited, it was just awesome icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 9

I have a program I call "Cakes For Christ" you can check it out on my website (link below)

Basically I allow people in the town i live in an opportunity to apply for a free cake for their child 18 and under's birthday if they feel they can't afford a cake.

There is no screening process, anyone that wants to apply can (regardless of financial status), I take on as many of the cakes per week as I can and choose them on a first come first serve basis and deliver the cake to them at no charge.

With the cake I offer them literature on receiving Jesus Christ as their personal savior and offer to provide them with a Bible if they don't currently own one as well. I also have a chance to talk with them about their faith or lack of faith and answer any questions they might have.

They are very receptive since they're getting a free cake, and the bonus for me is that I get a witnessing opportunity as well as a way to tithe the extra money I make from my cake business. Win win situation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%