Renting Space In A Restaurant - Advice?

Business By CherryBlossomCakesDC Updated 4 May 2010 , 7:48am by gwenette

CherryBlossomCakesDC Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:07am
post #1 of 5

Hi there - I've been looking around for some rental kitchen space and found a restaurant that serves only through lunch, and is closed on weekends - so would be available at perfect times for me to bake and decorate. I've never even waited tables so I'm a bit at sea. The price is good and they have lots of room for me. Does anyone have any sample rental agreements or advice as to how to structure such an agreement?

Thank you!

4 replies
PDXSweetTreats Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 5

CherryBlossomCakesDC -- Hi!

Did you ever get a response on this? I'm interested in the same thing; been doing cakes just for family and friends (for free!) and would like to branch out. Toba Garrett addresses some of these issues in her new book "Wedding Cake Art and Design," but not the specifics. I'd like to hear from others who rent space (church, school, etc.), too.

dreamcakesmom Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 5

me too! Me too! I'm in the process and any feedback from people who have been through this would be greatly appreciated!

PDXSweetTreats Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 5

So, does anyone have any advice on renting space -- from a restaurant in the case of the OP, or in my case from a church, private school, local entity w/kitchen space, etc.? Can you share your insight on what the pitfalls might be, what we should look for, what some red flags might be, etc.?

Many thanks for any and all advice! icon_smile.gif

P.S. I've searched CC, but didn't come up w/any answers on this one. Might be my search terms, but if you have a link that you can provide, we'd appreciate it.

gwenette Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:48am
post #5 of 5

I have looked into this in Georgia and was told in a restaurant I would have to have my license,of course ,insurance and storage of all my food and supplies,at the restaurant. They said they did not allow renting church space.This was someone from Dept. of Agriculture a few months ago.

Quote by @%username% on %date%