In Desperate Need Of Help Now!

Baking By TheBaketress Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm by LeeBD

TheBaketress Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 20

ok so i am having some major issues right now and im not home or even in my home state to start with!!!! im from ny and am in FL at my in-laws making my cousins wedding cake for next weekend. the chocolate pudding recipe i had is GROSS!!!!! someone please help me out i need a good chocolate filling recipe asap... heading to the store now to get new ingredients (i hope)!!! the entire cake is chocolate! and it cannot have any kind of alcohol! i have done a search but no time right now!

19 replies
TheBaketress Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:00am
post #2 of 20

oh and if possible not have to be refrigerated!!!! (i have no room)

peg818 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 20

whipped ganache. Thats what i would use. Just one part cream and two parts chocolate.

TheBaketress Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:09am
post #4 of 20

whats the difference with the ganache i made to put on the outside under the fondant??? does that have to be refrigerated?

sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:10am
post #5 of 20

You can always thin the ganache if needed and FL has a lot of humidity and warmer temps on the way so make be sparing with the cream ratio to start.

TheBaketress Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:13am
post #6 of 20

too bad its super cold here... like between the 20s and 30s!!! so not kidding!!!! i couldve sworn whipped ganache needs to stay refrigerated!?! the wedding is not until sat and it has to be able to stay out till then...

bettinashoe Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:23am
post #7 of 20

I just filled a chocolate cake with the whipped ganache and then covered it in ganache. It was great. The whipped ganache is mushy so I put a double circle of the outer ganache on the outer portion of the cake before I put the ganache in (I don't be able to explain it correctly, you know the dam you put around the filling so it doesn't squish out). Then i coated the cake in ganache and the filling didn't squish out at all. And it's so rich!

sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:43am
post #8 of 20

I know it is cold right now... the coldest we've seen in a while on The Treasure Coast. But we have our heat on 72° and so it's warm inside. What is the heater set on there? Too warm fro a cake to sit out all week and still taste good on the weekend. I am picky though I don't like old cake past day 3. Won't touch it let alone serve it to guests.

Bettinashoe I gotcha... a dam of hardening ganache(more of a hard truffle filling for chocolates) and the whipped soft and creamy stuff as filing. Sounds like a winner to me! thumbs_up.gif

Bunsen Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:05am
post #9 of 20

I use the same ganache as a filling as I use for the outside - it makes for quite a dense rich cake but is so yummy and definitely does not require refrigeration.

Mizuki Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:06am
post #10 of 20

I like dark chocolate espresso ganache. It's just enough different from chocolate cake or chocolate ganache that it stands out as a filling and not an icing. thumbs_up.gif

MissCakeCrazy Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:01pm
post #11 of 20

Dark Choc Expresso Ganache sounds nice, do you have the receipe you can give me?

jojo0676 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 20

I would think ganache needs to be refrigerated.

elliespartycake Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 20

I believe that because the cream is scalded before you add the chocolate it is OK to sit out. 'Til Saturday??? Sounds like a long time to me. Stale cake...ICK.

CakeMommyTX Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:52pm
post #14 of 20

What about a chocolate butter cream, that can sit out at room temp?
Just mix a little bit of your ganache in with the butter cream.

JanH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 20

..moving to Recipe Requests forum. icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 20

..moving to Recipe Requests forum. icon_smile.gif

LeeBD Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:42pm
post #17 of 20

I make a ganache and instead of whipping it, I mix in confectioners sugar to a spreading consistancy. It's delicious and my most requested filling.

grama_j Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 20

Question: Why doesn't ganache need refrigeration?
Answer: Because of its high content of sugar and fat. Micro-organisms need water to grow. When the sugar content is so high, the sugar binds the water in such a way that micro-organisms cannot utilize it. Technically its called "water activity control."

bettinashoe Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:05am
post #19 of 20

Using powdered sugar sounds really good, LeeBD. Do you simply make the ganache as you normally would with heavy cream and then add powdered sugar?

LeeBD Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm
post #20 of 20

bettinashoe-yes i just follow ganache recipe. I use Ghirardelli 60% cacao chips. Let it cool to room temp and then mix in confectioners sugar to correct spreading consistancy. It's hard to resist right out of the bowl!

Quote by @%username% on %date%