Help With A Cake Topper

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 6:02am by SecretAgentCakeBaker

dchockeyguy Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 4

I find myself in a bit of a pickle, and I'm looking for any possible suggestions.

I have my first wedding cake on Sunday. It's for a friend, and I'm doing it for basically the cost of the ingredients/supplies, with maybe a tiny bit for my time. It's a three tier, non-stacked, wedding cake. All tiers are 8" The theme of the wedding is "A Mid-Winter NIght's Dream." SO basically, it's a fairy and toadstool themed wedding cake. (It's waht she picked).

Awhile back, I asked her about her cake topper, and what I shoudl do about the top of the cake. She told me that she and her fiancee were going to get one, so please leave the top open. "SCORE!" I thought, as that made my life a lot easier. The top tier of the cake is a cloud tier, and it will be snowing from that top tier.

Today she's like "Oh, we couldn't find a topper. Could you put something on?" you know how we cake decorators are. I said yes, and asked about her flowers. She said "They're silvery and puprle fake flowers." So now I need to come up with something.

I can't make a lot of flowers in gumpaste to be honest. I've taken classes on several, then never used them, so I dont' think I coudl do them again. Roses are about the only flowers I can make.

I have a couple of options right now that I can think of:

1. A giant toadstool house standing upright on the top of the cake. Problem: It wouldn't be 3-D, as it has a defined front, with a blank back. THat kind of bothers me, as I like things to be viewed from all directions.

2. Make silver colored flowers with a purple edge to them, and add some white filler flowers. I might be able to pull off some lilly of the valley, some stephanotis, or some generic white flower with a cutter/veiner I have.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

3 replies
aundrea Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 4

hi-
what about using the flowers that she has for the wedding. you said they are fake- so why cant you get extras and make a bouquet on top?

KristyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:01am
post #3 of 4

I like aundrea's idea... see if you can get some of the wedding flowers. Maybe you could make some wired stars and beads to stick out of the flowers?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%