Petal Dust

Decorating By DeweyH Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm by Renaejrk

DeweyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeweyH Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 11

I am in the process of doing a birthday cake and I am short on petal dust. I usually order off line but do not have time to reoder. Does anyone know where I can buy petal dust and luster dust in Greensboro NC? ........ icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 11

Hobby Lobby and Michaels carries it on their Wilton aisle. WalMart carries Wilton too, but some of their selection is limited. Some might carry it, some might not. Not sure what else you have in your area, maybe someone in NC can tell you for sure!

DeweyH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #3 of 11

thanks HarleyDee, I didn't think about Hobby Lobby ...... thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:41am
post #4 of 11

The Wilton stuff doesn't work as well as the fancier stuff...if you need silver or gold you may be disappointed with the Wilton ones. The wilton white dust works well though. Their vials are easier to open too icon_biggrin.gif no pliers needed.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 11

Petal and pearl dusts are different. And what Wilton calls pearl (minus the white) I'd actually call luster dust.

Are you looking for the matte or shimmery colors.

If you need the shimmery, then you can use Wiltons. I'm not sure if you have a cake supply store there or not, that is something you'd have to look up in the phone book. But if you do they may have a selection as well.

If you are looking for matte colors I've read that you can use the non toxic chalks in the art section and grate it to a powder.

DeweyH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 11

Guess I should have researched my area for my supplies. Then I wouldn't be in the mess I'm in. The internet makes it so so much easier to buy my products..... Less gas spent! Bet I'll know where my suppliers are now!

MANY Thanks to all that have tried to help me.

Thanks Again!
Dewey icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 11

I do us chalks for petal dust for most of my gum paste flowers, since I don't intend for them to be eaten. It's safe if a little dust comes in contact with the rest of your cake. And they'll save you a fortune!

Keep in mind though, that the non-toxic chalks are not meant for consumption. A rubber ball may be non-toxic. But that doesn't mean it's meant to be eaten. It just means it's not poisonous.

DeweyH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 11

thanks alot artscallion, I had no idea about the chalk. I never intend for them to be eaten. That will save me some $$ ....

Do you mix it with anything like cornstarch or anything? Or is it just ground to a powder?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Keep in mind though, that the non-toxic chalks are not meant for consumption. A rubber ball may be non-toxic. But that doesn't mean it's meant to be eaten. It just means it's not poisonous.

Most of the luster/pearl/petal dusts say they are non-toxic, which as you pointed out is not the same thing as edible. My favorite example is Elmer's glue.

Wilton's Pearl Dusts and Cystal Colors are the only two that I know have dusts that are edible. The powder food colors would fall under this too.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyH

thanks alot artscallion, I had no idea about the chalk. I never intend for them to be eaten. That will save me some $$ ....

Do you mix it with anything like cornstarch or anything? Or is it just ground to a powder?

Just grate it against a fine mesh strainer, or if you're only using a tiny bit you can scribble on a paper towel and then use a dry paintbrush to pick it up.

It needs to be the artists chalk, not the Crayola chalk. I tried using crayola at first but it wasn't dark enough. Hobby Lobby has a set of 48 colors for $5. I've been admiring the scrapbook chalks that look like a big eyeshadow compact but I haven't felt like spending the $$ to try them, yet anyhow icon_biggrin.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 11

If you can't find a bakery supply, you might find other bakers in the area and see if they'd be willing to sell you some? Might pay more, but would be worth it if you really need it. I had to do this once - really sweet lady just sold it to me at cost!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%