Raspberry Buttercream- Need Advice Please

Baking By SpicyBubbles Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 8:32pm by adonisthegreek1

SpicyBubbles Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 5

I am making lemon cupcakes and wanted to make raspberry frosting for them. I don't have fresh or frozen raspberries, what I do have is Smucker's 'Simply Fruit' raspberry jelly. Would it be possible to warm this up into a syrup & add that to buttercream to make the frosting? Should I just break down & go to the store to get raspberries? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

4 replies
JanH Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 5

I wouldn't add the jelly, it will color your b/c but in order to get any real raspberry flavor you'll have to use a lot. And if you use a lot your frosting is going to be REALLY, REALLY sweet.

I'd recommend a trip to the store to get raspberry extract... Not horribly expensive, doesn't change the texture of your b/c and lasts for a long time.

It's been my experience that most grocery stores carry McCormick's raspberry extract:

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 5

I say breakdown and go to the store to get raspberries. I make raspberry puree and add it to my SMBC.

SpicyBubbles Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for the quick replies. I've thought about getting some raspberry extract in the past, I guess now is as good a time as any to pick some up. icon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 5

I make raspberry puree too. I use it as a filling, then add some to SMBC and that's my icing. It is too delicious! I like the real fruit, rather than the extracts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%