Cake Scam!

Business By elody21 Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm by marzipandoll

elody21 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 4

Believe it or not there is actually someone scamming targeting cake decorators!
I got an e-mail last week. Someone wanting a wedding cake in 2 weeks. They ordered a cake in a fair amount of detail and wanted to pay with a credit card. Even after telling them 4 times I do not take credit cards they kept insisting. The odd part was they would not give me any info on the hall or on the bride or their phone number or address. he then claimed he was in the UK telling his family about the wedding. I suggested a money gram from western union or even pay pal. He didn't want to do that. He wanted to send me a check!
Here's the scam.
They want to pay for the wedding cake with a charge card. They then say that they are going to add an extra $850.00 for you to pay the "pick-up" service. The wedding is only 2 weeks away and the cake they order is very expensive. $1,200 so it is hard to turn down. Their idea is to charge the cake on a fake account, stolen account, or an account that they will let go un paid. It takes at least 2 weeks for the charge to go all the way through. In the mean time they have the decorator not only make a wedding cake but pay the fake pick-up service $850.00!!!!!
I believe they count on the kindness of the decorator not to dissapoint this couple and go through with it.
I suspected something wasn't right. As soon as I told him to fill in all of the information I asked and I would only accept a Western Union money gram, and he would have to pay the pick up service himself I never heard from him again.
I just thought I would let everyone know what was happening. It is hard to believe someone would go through all of this for $850.00! These people are truely pond scum!
If you do receive this e-mail could you please report them to yahoo fraud. The more that wage a complaint the more chance of catching these people Thanks
Elody21

3 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 4

Sadly that's a very old scam that's been going around for years. Stick to your guns - when in doubt, don't!

leah_s Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 4

That an old one all right. I'm amazed it's still making the rounds.

marzipandoll Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 4

I've heard about this on CC first. Just WOW! The things the ppl will do to make the quick loot! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%