How To Get Red Icing.

Decorating By heartofoklahoma Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 2:40am by tiggy2

heartofoklahoma Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 13

Hello, I have been making cakes for awhile and I always have trouble getting my red to be really red. I have a friend that uses AmeriColor and she says she gets red right away. I however use the americolor to and I have to wait and wait for it to get red. I make it and put it in the fridge. The only time that it gets really red is like a week later while sitting in the fridge. Then it tastes like dye. I would love some suggestions on how to fix this problem. Thank you all!

12 replies
LoriMc Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 13

Here is what I've had success with. I take Americolor TULIP red (which is a no taste red) and get a base color that is close to red. Then I add a small amount of CK super red a little at a time. I stop and taste each time I put the CK in to make sure it isn't bitter. When it is still slightly lighter red than I want, I let it sit uncovered for about 20 minutes. It will darken, and it will darken more as it sits on the cake. The tulip red by americolor does not get bitter, but the CK super red will if you put too much.

If I don't have the CK super red, then I use the Americolor super red in it's place. You just have to be careful with it, becuase it gets bitter fast.

tastyart Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 13

Are you and your friend using the same frosting recipe? I think recipes high in butter are more difficult to color.

LoriMc Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

Are you and your friend using the same frosting recipe? I think recipes high in butter are more difficult to color.

I think you're right.

FromScratch Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 13

My response might sound snarky, but it isn't intended to in any way...

Use red Satin Ice. I gave up on red buttercream a LOOOONG time ago. It's a pain to get it that color and it stains everthing it touches. If a customer wants a red cake... they get fondant and that is that. Same for black and all darker colors. I will do lighter colors in BC, but not the dark ones. I tell them... if it is going to stain your teeth and lips red... what do think it is doing to your innards? Not to mention technicolor poo. For smaller accents I will use royal icing which is really easy to get red red if need be.

LoriMc Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

My response might sound snarky, but it isn't intended to in any way...

Use red . I gave up on red buttercream a LOOOONG time ago. It's a pain to get it that color and it stains everthing it touches. If a customer wants a red cake... they get fondant and that is that. Same for black and all darker colors. I will do lighter colors in BC, but not the dark ones. I tell them... if it is going to stain your teeth and lips red... what do think it is doing to your innards? Not to mention technicolor poo. For smaller accents I will use royal icing which is really easy to get red red if need be.

Not trying to sound snarky here either, but when I eat red or black fondant it stains my mouth and teeth also! I just ate a piece of black Satin Ice to test it out and I have a black tongue and gray teeth! lol

I try to never cover a cake in red buttercream only because it is a hassle to make it, but sometimes you need a little here or there. If she does buttercream cakes at all, it is a good thing for her to learn how to make non bitter red icing. It definitely comes in handy.

Also, a lot of people don't like the taste of fondant, so it isn't always an option.

heartofoklahoma Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 13

TastyArt......yes, we basically use the same recipe. I use 2 cups of shortning, she uses 1 1/4, we both use the buttercream flavoring.

Ok, LoriMC I will have to go buy some tulip red. I have never heard of CK but I do have some americolor super red.

Fromscratch.......there is an idea too!

Thank you ALL!

FromScratch Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 13

Yes, but it's no where near as bad as when you eat the red BC, and you can always peel the fondant pieces off, not so with the BC.

mandyloo Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 13

Buy it and save yourself a giant pita. icon_razz.gif I made my daughter a practice elmo cake for her 18 month celebration and for the actual cake for her bday I went ahead and bought a big ol' thing of wilton red on sale after Christmas. I'm making her an Ariel and an Elmo cake and there is just no way I wanted to deal with that crap again.

tiggy2 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 13

You can get red BC instantly if you use chefmaster colors. That's all I use for red and black. It takes very little and there is no "bad" taste. I never have a problem making red and I don't have to wait for it to intensify.

heartofoklahoma Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 13

Wow cool Tiggy2.....where do you get the chefmaster colors? I would love to get some.

Mandyloo, I did the same thing and bought some wilton red icing.......i just dont like the taste of it.

Thank you all so much!

verosuperstar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #12 of 13

Hey Tiggy2, where do you get the chefmaster colors? I get a lot of requests for red cakes and I always tell the costumers how is the icing going to taste and they still want them.

tiggy2 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #13 of 13

I get it locally from Dixie's icing but you can do a google search for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%