Need Help With What To Write On This Cake

Decorating By j_arney Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 2:37am by icer101

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 11

I have a client (friend) who wants me to make a cake for her husband's 39th birthday. She wants a football cake and settled on this design:
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Do-Your-Birthday-Upright-Cake

I'm supposed to work a Buffalo Bills logo in there somehwere. I was thinking in the empty space to the left of the goal post (where one of the football players is currently). She doesn't know exactly what she wants written on the cake, but thinks she wants something like "Happy Birthday Albert. Enjoy you last year in your 30s". I don't know how/where to fit that much writing on the cake. Can any of you think of something witty along those lines, but much shorter? It probably has to fit on the right side of the goal post.

Thanks!!

10 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 11

39 and still kicking

Over the hill but still kicking

Albert's leaving his 30s kicking and screaming

If you need to write a lot and aren't overly comfortable with piping it, you can always write it with a food pen onto a piece of fondant.

pipercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipercakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 11

One idea (if Albert is a DIE HARD Bills fan) is to find out who player 39 is and possibly use that somehow?

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:26am
post #4 of 11

When a customer insists on extra writing on a cake that I know wont look right, or be too busy on the top of a cake, I will figure out spacing, and write on the side of the cake... works great! give you a little extra breathing room to work with...

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #5 of 11

Could you fit that on the football? Or write it on the actual goal post - it looks wide enough to have letters - you could use white fondant to make it, dry it, then write on it instead of piping.

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:48am
post #6 of 11

How about....

Not as far over the hill as the Bills.
At least you're still kicking!

Sorry, Bills football jokes.......... bad me.......... icon_smile.gif

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:58am
post #7 of 11

Don't want to make it an extra hassle, but what about making 2 cakes and using half of the 2nd to add or extend the first. Put your logo and writing there. Like an extra 6 inch section under the goal post. And it's buttercream, so it's not like you'd have to roll big fondant for it.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 11

39 and holding

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #9 of 11

How about: Mad Dash to 40 yard line

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:29am
post #10 of 11

Ooooppsss, sorry he's turning 39 not 40, lol. Maybe: Mad dash from or to the 39 yard line, Score!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #11 of 11

like poohsmomma said ...39 and holding....HOLDING EVERYTHING I GOT!!! HA!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%