Hmm... Not Sure How To Figure This One Out...

Decorating By MystiqueFire Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm by MystiqueFire

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 9

My friend is having a birthday cake and I'm just kind of really overthinking this cake, so I need some help! It's a 21st birthday party cake, but it's got to be barbie themed... and I really want to make it really nice for her, so if you have any ideas/pictures, please share! It's got to be 2 tier, so it's not going to be a shaped cake like a barbie dress. Can anyone help?

And usually I dont have an issue with cakes, but I think I'm a little ambitious in my thinking right now; I have no idea how I'm going to get 1000 sugar diamonds and place them all on the cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Jasmine

8 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 9

Think Barbie meets Sex in the City. I see Cosmos and cocktails and silhouettes of Barbie dressed in a Cocktail dress. Over a faded background. Silhouettes of chandeliers and martinis...?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 9

Well, Jasmine... you do gorgeous cookies, so why don't you think about incorporating those into your cake? I bought both my mom and sister a Barbie Calendar this year that is a French printing of Barbie Fashions. Link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002K97U0M/?tag=cakecentral-20

It is full of sketches used to inspire Barbie Fashions through the years. It's expensive on Amazon, but still in Sams stores for only $7.88!!! I got the first one in a local bookstore for only $14.99. You could do cookies with the fashions (much like your American Girl cookies) and place those on the sides of the cakes in panels... something like flowers for the topper and you'd have something unique and beautiful.

Just an idea.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 9

Barbie's hot colours right now are Hot Pink and Black so what if you did the bottom tier in stripes with those colours out of fondant and then keep it simple with the barbie logo on a Hot Pink fondant covered 2nd tier. Kinda looks like a box in my head but round. Then you can add the bling around the logo and as a border. I guess for me I just try to keep things simple but elegant looking.

Good luck with this one!!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 9
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 9

I found this in the gallery. Maybe it can help you get going in the right direction. Good luck!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1437266

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 9

Well you can make them if you want to buy the molds and work with hot sugar (whih can be a pain both literally and figuratively) , or you can buy them, but I doubt you will want to spend hundreds of dollars for 1000 sugar gems. You can get a 40 count package for $30-ish... getting them on the cake is the easy part... LOL. icon_wink.gif

As far as your theme, you can't go wrong with pink for a Barbie cake... maybe have some black accents to make it more grown up and give it a Parisian feel.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 9

You should make a Barbie shoe and sit it on the top tier!!!

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 9

OOOHH i love these ideas! See, this is exactly why I turn here in a pinch! =) Now I have the realistic juices flowing, thanks to everyone for your input and compliments! ;0)

I will post pictures when I am finished!

Jas

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%