How To Get This Effect On Guitar Cake?

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 5:15am by cakesrock

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 16

I need to make a guitar cake with sheet music for a groom. I love this cake idea but am nervous about getting the wood look right on the top and around the sides. Diluted food coloring on the sides? How to get the sheen? Woodgrain that's lighter for the top? Do I wrap fondant around and a piece for the top or all one large piece? Help! Whichever CC'ers can walk me through this process will have my undying affection...many thanks for your help! [/img]
LL

15 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 16

I would wrap the cake in fondant then mix yellow and brown food colorings with vodka and paint it. Mix more yellow on the top and more brown on the sides. You should be fine doing that.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 16

I would tint fondant light brown and cover the top with a flat piece. Tint more fondant a darker shade of brown and wrap a piece around the sides. For the wood look, I'd dilute brown paste color with water or something non-alcoholic so that it wouldn't dry. You want it to stay shiny.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 16

What I've done is use piping gel with gel color to get stuff really shiny. For some things you don't even need to dilute the gel color. Make a few really small batches of different ones and test them out on a sheet of fondant to get the look you want - also try different brushes - bristle/sponge/rags/etc - to get the look you want.

I have also used tylose glue so it dried really hard (& I was out of piping gel!) - but that is difficult to work with as it gets really sticky! I have had bad results with putting alcohol and gel color together, but I've seen several posts where people have done it - so I don't know what my problem is - lol!

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 16

I would cover the entire cake in a light yellow fondant. Than I'd use a large soft brush and airbrush or gel color mixed with piping gel (for the shine) and paint the entire cake, doing the top first with either an ivory or a diluted brown airbrush color for the lighter shade. Then I'd go back and do the sides with a non-diluted brown GEL color mixed with the piping gel (for the more concentrated, darker color). I agree with a previous poster... have some of the yellow fondant rolled out to try different shades of brown on it to see how light or dark you want it to be.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 16

I've been told that you can paint the cake with a mixture of corn syrup and vodka for a varnished looking shine. I've never tried it. I have painted with the piping gel and it left the cake super sticky.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks so much for these suggestions...will try them out on a spare piece of fondant and let you all know how it goes! Many thanks...

ashleyisawesome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyisawesome Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 16

Airbrush color in ivory for the top, just using brush strokes (the airbrush color gives it a sheen already) and warm brown airbrush color in ivory. I guess you could also use watered down gel colors. But ivory and warm brown are the colors you want to go with.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 16

Once you have your painting done, brush with confectioners glaze. I got mine from Nick Lodge I believe. Good luck!

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:25am
post #10 of 16

Does anyone know what is best to do the guitar strings out of???
Thanks

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:51am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg

Does anyone know what is best to do the guitar strings out of???
Thanks

Never made one but if I did I would use Fishing Line icon_smile.gif

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 16

I've done them a few different ways, and although I always prefer edible things on my cakes, I've just had a hard time making anything edible that thin and realistic as guitar strings. So, the last time I used some gold thread I bought at Walmart. I wanted something that would be seen, but not so heavy that I couldn't straighten it. The gold thread worked really well.

Cookncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookncakes Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 16

I just made an electric guitar groom's cake. I used silver metallic thread that I got at JoAnne's Craft. They were the only non-edible item on the cake, but they looked very real.

molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:28am
post #14 of 16

I'm new to the cake decorating and would like to know how to make a guitar cake. I don't need to make a huge one but have been asked to make one for a friends husband and have noooo idea where to begin. Tutorial????

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:42am
post #15 of 16

i did a guitar cake and wanted it 100% edible, so i used angel hair pasta, that i painted silver!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:15am
post #16 of 16

I'm doing one this week. I also wanted everything edible. For the strings I mixed fondant and tylose and put it through my clay gun and made the pieces really long. Then I painted them silver. They may have dried too hard, but we'll see. If I have to do it again, its not too big of a deal - doesn't take too long.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%