How To Do Horizontal Lines

Decorating By solascakes Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 5:47pm by Sleepy

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 26

Please could anyone enlighten me on how to get these straight horizontal lines on cakes.Especially in the middle of the cakes,like the ones Rylan did here.How can I manage to get them staright and evenly spaced out. Thanks a lot.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1501075

25 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 26

I remember him saying he put them on as straight as possible and then used a butter knife to straighten them perfectly. HTH

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 26

Peggy Porschen also uses a scribbler which etches out a horizontal line to use as a guide on the cake. She doesn't say specifically where it comes from and I have never taken the time to try to find it but it looks like a really neat tool if you're going to do lots of horizontal lines.

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 26

I use my DH's laser level, it shines a red line across the cake and is easy to follow.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Peggy Porschen also uses a scribbler which etches out a horizontal line to use as a guide on the cake. She doesn't say specifically where it comes from and I have never taken the time to try to find it but it looks like a really neat tool if you're going to do lots of horizontal lines.

I saw the scribbler Peggy uses at Squires website (from the UK.) However, there was a thread recently where someone took a straw and put a straight pin through it to do the same thing -- MUCH cheaper!! icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 26

Place cake on turn table perfectly in the middle.

Place a large stack of books next to it.

Take pin and push through side of end of straw

Place straw into stacked books wherever needed. Not just in between books but in between pages for a more adjustable height. Make sure the pin touches the cake.

Give turn table a spin.

Cut a long strip of fondant and roll it into a coil.

Uncoil over pin mark in cake.

Use the side of a ruler to help you keep it straight.

Start and stop each stripe in the back or where you can cover with decoration.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 26

Thank you everybody,it seems so daunting but I will try it sometome. Thanks again.

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 26

Sadsmile you are a genius! Thanks for sharing!

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 26

Sadsmile, forgive me but you lost me with the books. I'm at a loss as to what purpose they serve.

sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 26

Instead of a shaking hand...LOL stick the straw in there.

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 26

Oh I got it. I just place the bottom of the straw right on the cake board. Thanks for clearing that up! icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:15pm
post #12 of 26

OH I see so you then just cut the straw to the height you want. But if you want many heights then you will use many straws...LOL My cakes are always on a board the same size as the cake until I put it on a larger fondant covered board. And I use no slip on the turn table under that so I don't have a flat surface for the straw to slide along.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 26

get a laser level......love mine, now my writing isn'nt slanted either LOL

I got it on ebay for under $3 with shipping!

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:02pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

OH I see so you then just cut the straw to the height you want. But if you want many heights then you will use many straws...LOL My cakes are always on a board the same size as the cake until I put it on a larger fondant covered board. And I use no slip on the turn table under that so I don't have a flat surface for the straw to slide along.

When I put my cakes on the same size board I put a larger board underneath and place the straw on that. For example if I have an 8 inch cake on an 8 inch board I put that on top of a 10 or 12 inch board for lifting and decorating purposes and I put the straw on the bottom larger board. I find it works great for me. icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:12pm
post #15 of 26

thumbs_up.gif Works for you. icon_cool.gif But then I would be making a mess of another board I wouldn't otherwise use.

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:15pm
post #16 of 26

I use the boards over and over again. How would you make a mess of it?

sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:43pm
post #17 of 26

Just cause. icon_wink.gif Call me pig pen

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:43pm
post #18 of 26

Here's how I made my scribes with straws.

Note: You can put more than on pin on a straw and mark all your lines at one time. HTH
LL

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:14am
post #19 of 26

You know Sewsweet, I think you were the one I got the idea from! icon_lol.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:29am
post #20 of 26

I absolutely love this straw idea. I have a lazer level but it just doesn't work right for me. I admit I have a problem with anything that requires reading instructions. Pictures, I can figure that out though. Thanks so much!

sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:22am
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I also use butter in my icing and once that gets on something that you can't wash it's either use it now or toss it since it spoils eventually and you can't save it. I wouldn't want my cake on something that has old icing from who knows when on it.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:57pm
post #22 of 26

Oh I see. I have some "dedicated" boards that I don't use for other cakes too. But if it's not too bad I sometimes double two "bad" boards and cover them with fondant and use them for dummies.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I also use butter in my icing and once that gets on something that you can't wash it's either use it now or toss it since it spoils eventually and you can't save it. I wouldn't want my cake on something that has old icing from who knows when on it.

I do the same as bobwonderbuns, place cake on a larger work board. But, I use those plastic Tuffboards which can be washed with soap and water.

For larger cakes, I have dedicated pieces of foamboard completely covered with Contact paper. Also washable. icon_smile.gif

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:55pm
post #24 of 26

I'm having a hard time visualizing how the books are used. If the straw needs to be upright how is it inserted into the book? Would love a picture of that!

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:27pm
post #25 of 26

I don't use any books. I just hold the straw upright with the bottom on the turntable then move the cake around while I hold the straw to scribe the line lightly into the buttercream on the side of the cake.

Sleepy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sleepy Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:47pm
post #26 of 26

I use a ruler and toothpicks. The ruler sets on the table and the tooth picks are taped on, adjusting for the height of the turn table, put the ruler close and slowly turn the cake. If it's a smaller cake you can use skewers instead of tooth picks! Works for me!! ; )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%