Fondant Ribbon Question

Decorating By amywood20 Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 12:43am by leah_s

amywood20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amywood20 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 5

I have seen many beautiful cakes posted on this site that are covered in fondant with a nice fondant ribbon around the bottom. Since these tend to be stacked cakes, I am assuming there is a cake board underneath each layer in the same size as the cake (i.e. 8 inch cake on an 8 inch cake board). The question I have is how is this done if the cake board is a tiny bit larger than the cake? I currently have a 6 inch cake on a 6 inch board but it seems there is a tiny bit of board not quite under the cake even though it is technically the same size. Do you just wrap the ribbon around the bottom of the cake as best you can, making sure it is against the cake and not the sneaky board? Thanks!

4 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 5

Use the board as a guide for the icing, making sure you ice/fondant all the way out to the board. Does that make sense?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 5

You need to cut your board to fit the cake exactly with no overhang. Then, cover the board as if it was part of the cake.

amywood20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amywood20 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:43am
post #5 of 5

The space between the edge of the cake and the edge of the board is where the icing goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%