Native Dancing

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 1:37am by kakabekabunny

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:02am
post #1 of 8

My boys recently went to a local Catholic school with their culture club to do an exhibition and I found out today that a video of them dancing was posted online. I thought people might be interested.

The boys are all grass dancers, the girls with the shawl are fancy shawl and the other girls are jingle dancers. The tallest boy in orange and the child in the regalia that matches my avatar are mine.

7 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:18am
post #2 of 8

They did a great job. I'm always interested in Native American Dance and culture. The regalia's are great too mbelgard. I know you worked really hard on them. (but how are you going to top if for when they outgrow them - icon_wink.gif j/k)

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:50am
post #3 of 8

You got to love the energy involved. They looked beautiful.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:23am
post #4 of 8

Cute!

What tribe?

mbelgard Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 8

It's the Turtle Mountain band of Chippewa Indians which are Ojibwe. This particular band is Metis, a mix of French and Indian.

And to top this regalia off my oldest wants me to add bustles to his regalia so he can fancy dance. The basic pieces are close enough that I don't have to make him a whole new regalia. A video of a fancy dancer:

For Pow-wow dancing it doesn't really matter what tribe they are from, the dances have gotten mixed up over the years.

kakabekabunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakabekabunny Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 8

mbelgard, I don't post often, but I just HAD to comment on the dancing and your son's regalia. You did such an awesome job making it. I have worked with 3 special needs siblings for the past 2 years, and we made them regalia for pow wows, but they were NOTHING near as beautiful as yours. Congratulations to your boys for being involved in their heritage. I wish more kids did.

ps the little girl in the yellow fancy shawl sure knows how to play to the camera, lol

mbelgard Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:43am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakabekabunny

mbelgard, I don't post often, but I just HAD to comment on the dancing and your son's regalia. You did such an awesome job making it. I have worked with 3 special needs siblings for the past 2 years, and we made them regalia for pow wows, but they were NOTHING near as beautiful as yours. Congratulations to your boys for being involved in their heritage. I wish more kids did.

ps the little girl in the yellow fancy shawl sure knows how to play to the camera, lol

Thanks, these were my second year making them, I've done a total of 3 now. I'm not Native, my husband is, and had never even been to a pow-wow when my oldest decided he wanted to dance with the school so it was a little scary to do the first one. I did decide I like it though because I can use ribbons and beads for my boys without them yelling, the next one I make is going to have pink. icon_lol.gif

It is nice that the boys are interested in their heritage, this tribe is in real trouble with their culture so anyone who's even a little interested is good.

And the little girl in the yellow shawl is the daughter of the lady who recorded the video so she isn't really playing up for the camera. If you listen you will here her mother saying her name to get her attention so she could record her a little more.

kakabekabunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakabekabunny Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #8 of 8

lol, thought I heard a voice in the background. I'm not native either, but after working closely with our local band, I find their culture fascinating. Did you get advice when making the regalia, or can u get patterns? Our children's case aide just hand drew patterns for us....nothing really fancy,,no beading just some ribbons. I would love to make our little girl a jingle dress (even though she wouldn't be able to dance she would love the sound). I think most bands are in trouble with their culture right now. The elders are dying off and the young people are too caught up with "modern" gadgets and life styles right now and by the time some of them "wake up" it will be too late because there won't be anyone left to teach them. Sad. BTW love the "pink" idea, lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%