will cover?

Anyone used it? Any reviews?

TIA
Hamie

16 replies
lh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lh Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:37am
post #2 of 17

if you do a light spray all over, a whole can will cover 3 tiers (12, 10, and 8 inches in diameter, 4 inches tall)

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:38am
post #3 of 17

Be careful with it! It's a powerful little can. Test it on a piece of paper first and definitely do it outside.

I can't tell you how much cake it will cover because after testing it I never ended up using it. It's more silvery than pearl and it gives a rather harsh uneven finish in my opinion. I was looking for more of a shimmery, all over finish, like you can get with pearl dust, but stronger. This wasn't it. But test it and see for yourself if it's what you want.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:41am
post #4 of 17

It's fabulous stuff!

Take a look at my photos... there are quite a few that have a pearly sheen to them - all thanks to the PME pearly lustre spray! My latest cake is the Barbie Fairytopia one, which had a light spray over it!

icon_biggrin.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:42am
post #5 of 17

Have been wanting to try this also so can't wait to see what everyone has to say.

Cakeonista Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:45am
post #6 of 17

Relznik your cakes are wonderful. Did you use this spray on your pink and gold asian cake also? I loved the shimmery finish on the fairy doll, beautiful. ANy tips that I need to know?

Relznik Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:50am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeonista

ANy tips that I need to know?

Don't hold the can too near. Like most things like this... build up layers gradually. icon_smile.gif

Cakeonista Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:53am
post #8 of 17

Can't wait to try, thanks.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:23am
post #9 of 17

Relznik, I appreciate the enthusiastic review icon_lol.gif (it does look good on your Barbie cake thumbs_up.gif ) but you didn't say how quickly you go through a can of the stuff. Oh, I almost forgot - have you used it on buttercream?

lh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lh Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #10 of 17

it's not silvery if you spray it further away(like 6 inches). you do have to have a light hand with it. the trick is to keep the can moving or you will have an uneven finish. i always do a light layer and do more layers if i want a stronger shimmery effect(3 of my cakes are completely covered in shimmer). i recommend doing it outside, if you do it inside everything will be covered in a layer of shimmer. the spray also works on buttercream. like i said before, 1 can will cover 3 tiers (12, 10, 8 in rounds, 4 inches tall) if you want a light layer of shimmer

Relznik Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:12am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseball

.. but you didn't say how quickly you go through a can of the stuff. Oh, I almost forgot - have you used it on buttercream?

Sorry.

As a previous poster said, you should get an average sized 3 tier cake out of it if you don't go berserk with it! There'll definitely be enough to notice it's there on the 3 tiers.

I've never worked with buttercream, so I don't know about that.

Suzanne x

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:47pm
post #12 of 17

I have used it on quite a few cakes and love it to give many effects from light shimmer like on a few of my christmas cakes to a mirror effect like on my make up case cake.
I have had my can a while and have used it on atleast 6 whole 9" round cakes and many smaller pieces.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:25pm
post #13 of 17

If you have an airbrush you can buy the pearl airbrush color. I guess it wouldnt be considered a color, because it is just pearl. Thats what I use and it goes on evenly and you get the same effect. I bought a large bottle at my cake supplier. It was 16.00, I have sprayed about 5 - 4 tier cakes with it and it hardly looks like Ive used any.

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 17

I love the pearl spray. I know there is a difference in brands. I used the spray on a 5 tier cake (I'm sorry, I can't remember the brand I used). Each tier was a different color and I used 4 cans. The spray does soften and mute the colors a bit, so I made each tier a little brighter color to compensate for the slight color change. If you are doing white icing, it probably would not be as noticible, so you wouldn't need to use as much. It is kind of expensive because each can was around $12.00. It is good advise to spray outside, because it gets everywhere!

Relznik Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by momba5

I love the pearl spray. I know there is a difference in brands. I used the spray on a 5 tier cake (I'm sorry, I can't remember the brand I used). Each tier was a different color and I used 4 cans. The spray does soften and mute the colors a bit, so I made each tier a little brighter color to compensate for the slight color change. If you are doing white icing, it probably would not be as noticible, so you wouldn't need to use as much. It is kind of expensive because each can was around $12.00. It is good advise to spray outside, because it gets everywhere!

It's not the cheapest product... we pay £5.95 GBP

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #16 of 17

If you like to use this a lot, I would suggest investing in an airbrush - like ttehan4 said - the bottle is around 16 bucks and will last forever! By the time you buy can after can after can, you will almost pay for your airbrush!

Joybox cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybox cakes Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 12:16am
post #17 of 17

the Pearl spray in Langley BC  scoop  n save store  is $22.00  .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%