Tylose Vs Gum Tex

Decorating By davespeg Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 9:38am by Cake4ever

davespeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davespeg Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:08am
post #1 of 7

Is there a difference? If so, when do you use tylose, and when do you use gum tex. Or is Gum Tex a brand name for tylose????
TIA icon_confused.gif

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:46am
post #2 of 7

They do the same thing. Some have a preference to one over the other. Gum-tex is Wilton's version. Tylose, CMC, Gum Trag are other versions.

davespeg Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:51am
post #3 of 7

Thanks TexasSugar. You would be suprised at how many times I've asked and no one until now could answer that question icon_surprised.gif .

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:56am
post #4 of 7

Actually, gum trag(acanth) is a bit different: it's much more expensive and when kneaded into fondant, the product must sit at least 12hrs. in order to fully activate. It's recommended over tylose, cmc, or gum tex for use in high humidity locations.

As I recall, it also loses it's strength over time, so if you've had it for awhile, it may not work as well as it did when you first purchased it.

HTH
Rae

davespeg Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:01am
post #5 of 7

I live in the desert, so luckily humidity is not usually an issue. Thanks for the info, Rae.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:17am
post #6 of 7

They all do the same thing, but they do it differently.

Im my personal experience, tylose is the best. Gum trag is nice too, but it takes much longer to fully dry. Gum tex... the same, and I don't like the final product as much. Tylose (which is CMC) is my favorite. It's inexpensive and dries quickly and very hard. icon_smile.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:38am
post #7 of 7

I agree with FromScratch, I love tylose much better. I have been taking sugapaste/gumpaste classes for over a year now and I have experimented and for me, tylose works the best. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%