Need Help, New To Cake Making

Baking By charliejo Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 1:17am by charliejo

charliejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliejo Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 10

Im making a cake for my girlfriends birthday, she likes chocolate, so chocolate cake, raspberries filling. Want to do a buttercream frosting, last cakes were fondant. So my question is can you make white buttercream frosting that taste like chocolate, and recipes? Thanks

9 replies
grammaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammaof3 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 10

hey, and welcome. I make the usual BC and add cocoa to it. Everybody seems to like it.. Good luck, icon_smile.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 10

All my choc. butter creams are brown. As far as I know there is no clear chocolate extract. If you really want white color, I don't think a white vanilla butter cream would be a bad comb. with choc, cake, rasp. filling. good luck

charliejo Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 10

could I put white chocolate chips melted in the buttercream? Would I still be able to get a smooth cake? thanks for the feed back

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 10

Have you thought about a white chocolate ganache? He's a recipe here on cc:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6053/white-chocolate-rum-whipped-ganache
You could always leave out the rum(or not). I don't have any experience with white ganache but I've used the regular chocolate kind a lot, whipped up just like a heavy buttercream.

charliejo Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:07am
post #6 of 10

will go look at the recipe, and the rum sounds good, wish I wasn't taking it to her as surprise at church!!!!!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:26am
post #8 of 10

I chop 18 oz of good white chocolate. The kind that has cocoa butter in it. Check if you use chips, as most are imitation and don't contain cocoa butter. Add this to the 1/2 cup white chocolate flavored non-dairy creamer. Microwave, 20 seconds, stir. repeat until just melted and smooth (you do not want to over heat white chocolate as it will separate) Let this cool completely to room temp while you prepare your frosting.

Cream 2 cups room temp butter, 1 cup shortening in a mixer until completely smooth.
Mix in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1 tsp salt.
Gradually mix in 3 pounds of confectioners sugar, one cup at a time.
Add 3 tbsps meringue powder.

When your melted choc mixture is completely cooled add it to the frosting. (if you add it too soon it'll melt the butter in your frosting)
Beat until light and fluffy.

This is a crusting buttercream and works well on its own. I don't recommend it under fondant as I don't like working with a crusting buttercream under fondant. If you do, reduce the beating time at the end as too much air under fondant will cause settling and bubbles.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:14am
post #9 of 10

OT, but artscallion, I am dieing over you signature,LMAO!!! Wilton fondant? What a horrific way to go!!!!

charliejo Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:17am
post #10 of 10

for all the help ladys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%