Sugar Martini Glass

Sugar Work By deetmar Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 5:03am by deetmar

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 9

Can somebody help me figure out how to make a sugar martini glass? I do have the chocolate mold, but don't know if that will help?

Thanks,

8 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:13am
post #2 of 9

I can't offer very much help because I've never worked with sugar or hard candy but I do know it takes a MUCH higher temp than chocolate so I think you'd run the risk of partially or completely melting your mold, especially if it's the hard clear plastic sort. Hopefully someone here can come through for you, good luck!

deetmar Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:33am
post #3 of 9

I know there is a way to make them using sugar and water, making a mold, and scraping out the center, but no idea how to do it. I know there was a discussion on this at some point, but can't seem to find it. I was trying with chocolate today, but having trouble with that too.
I hope someone knows somebody that has done this.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 9

Like the hollowed out Easter eggs that you look into? I think those use egg white too. here's a link on how to make the eggs, maybe you can use the directions/recipe for your glasses?? http://candy.about.com/od/sugarcandy/r/sugar_eggs.htm Good luck!

deetmar Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 9

That's what I was thinking. You could do the stem of the mold in solid sugar, then hollow out the glass part. I will give it a try unless someone comes up with something better.

Thanks for the link!

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:47am
post #6 of 9

I am interested too. The chocolate mold won't work unless it's a good quality silicon mold. Perhaps you should ask Dominic (MYOM) on Make your own mold thread,
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-35.html
he is the mold expert and he knows sugar real good too!

deetmar Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 9

I don't have pictures to show you yet, but I did make a couple of Martini glass out of sugar. First I used 2 cups of sugar to 2 tsp water and made it like wet sand.

Then I used my Martini glass chocolate molds, filled each side, packed in tight, then I dumped them onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. I baked them at 170 degree with the oven door open. After then came out, I began scooping out the sugar from the middle. I used white melted chocolate to glue the two sides together.

I also tried another way. I used the smae recipe with the sugar, you can add color of your choice, I filled the cup part of the martini glass with sugar and packed tight. I dumped it on the parchment covered cookie sheet and baked as above. For the stem, I used a chocolate mold that had a lipstick, and mascara brush. I packed them full twice, and baked as above. when the mascara was done, I used melted chocolate to attach the two sides. When the Martini cup was done, I scooped out the middle using a baby spoon, getting as close to the wall as I wanted. Don't go to close or it will crumble. I also packed a chocoalte saucer mold with sugar and did the same thing I used meled chocolate to attach the two sides of the mascara together, and let dry. Then I used melted chocolate to attach the mascara to the saucer, let dry, then attached the martini cup part to the mascara, and let dry upside down, so the pressure was on the cup part. I actaully did this in three different colors, black, white, and royal blue. Worked great! On the black one, I filled the glas swith bright pink royal Icing and added two fondant ovlives attached to a chocolate stick. It really worked well, but they are very fragile.

I am still determined to learn to do this with blown or pulled sugar, and I am also going to learn to make a mold with Dminic, which I think will be the best bet. The only thing with the mold, it will be very expensive, but he said it will last forever.

Good luck!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:39am
post #8 of 9

sweet!(no pun intended!) Can't wait to see pics!

deetmar Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:03am
post #9 of 9

We are leaving on a cruise on Saturday, so maybe when we get back, I can work on getting pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%