Toffee Question

Sugar Work By motherofgrace Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm by tesso

motherofgrace Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I have a toffee recipe that says not to substitue butter because of flavor. It it really that big of a deal? And if so, do any of you have a recipe where I could use margerine?

4 replies
adonisthegreek1 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 5

I've only made it with butter. Toffee is known for its rich, buttery flavor, so if you don't use butter the taste will be compromised. Here is a recipe for toffee made with margarine. I've never used it, so I can't say what its like.

1 cup sugar

2 sticks margarine

3 Tablespoons water

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup chocolate pieces

3/4 cup slivered almonds

Place first 4 ingredients into a medium saucepan. Heat until it begins to turn brown. 290 degrees. Pour onto silpat mat or greased waxed paper. Sprinkle with chocolate. When chocolate has melted, smooth over toffee. Sprinkle with pecans. Allow to cool to set chocolate. Break into pieces.

kansaslaura Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 5

I'm a die hard butter gal so I wouldn't consider using margarine--not only is the flavor different, but usually the fat content as well. If you must use margarine, buy the FULL fat one--be very careful about ones that have water in them!!! The higher the calorie the better, it should be 100% of calories from fat.

And it will taste different too--Toffee has a very buttery undertone for a flavor.

motherofgrace Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 5

ok thanks, Ill wait till I get some butter icon_smile.gif

tesso Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 5

thanks for the toffee recipe !!! going to make it tonight !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%