? About Baby Shower Cakes

Decorating By iris219 Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm by iris219

iris219 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 16

I have been asked to make my very 1st baby shower cake for March 2010. I have 3 different types of cakes I would like to present to the cliant (which I've seen here on CC) but I am not sure what type of cake pans are used to make these cakes to feed 100 people nor do I know what I should charge. Don't want to over charge or under charge, as I believe this will bring more potential customers.

A. Baby Bum Cake
B. Diaper Bag Cake with a few of the baby items, Bottles, rattle, shoes etc.
C. Bassinet cake

Don't want to get in over my head with this and would like to try to make cake dummies just to make sure I can do this. But I'm not sure this can be done.

Also, I have been trying to work on a bassinet cake for some time now but I cannot seem to get the hood part that is made out of candy melts to keep from breaking. Don't know what I could be doing wrong.

Any advise and help on the above is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 16

Well to start out with all the cakes you are referring to are 3D cakes and normally priced at $5.00 per serving..so that being said it won't come cheap for 100 people.Depends on what area of the country you live in as $5.00 a serving may be too much but that is what most decoraters charge.You also need to be fairly strong and confident in your skills to attempt such cakes and charge the top amount.And by no means am I saying you are not good enough etc..Just saying the facts! There is no one cakepan that you use for these cakes as they are carved and made from various size pans.Be sure though if you are actually feeding 100 that you make a cake big enough to feed 100.The 3D cakes look awesome but normally don't feed near to that amount unless you make it huge etc and re-proportion the sizes.Your best bet is to practice now and get a feel for it and you will know with trial and error where you went wrong and what works and what doesn't.Good Luck!!

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 16

I don't have much to offer with your questions, except for your inquiry about your bassinet cake... My avatar is my niece's christening cake topper made out of gumpaste. I don't know if you like the design, but maybe making two separate panels and then joining them would be easier for you? (Although I'm not sure how you'd get the ripple effect. Maybe piping something on the panels?) Well, good luck with your project! icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 16

Use the Wilton serving chart to determine what size pans you need to use to feed 100.

Are you in business? If so do you have a base price per serving in place?

That's how price is determined. You'll need to figure out how much it costs you to make this cake. Ingredients, utilities, boxes, boards, gas, and your time. Not to mention your costs for rent, insurance, licensing etc.

As you can see there is a LOT that goes into pricing a cake. It's not just the flour, sugar and eggs.

My price will most likely not be your price, you really need to determine that for yourself.

Good luck!

iris219 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Well to start out with all the cakes you are referring to are 3D cakes and normally priced at $5.00 per serving..so that being said it won't come cheap for 100 people.Depends on what area of the country you live in as $5.00 a serving may be too much but that is what most decoraters charge.You also need to be fairly strong and confident in your skills to attempt such cakes and charge the top amount.And by no means am I saying you are not good enough etc..Just saying the facts! There is no one cakepan that you use for these cakes as they are carved and made from various size pans.Be sure though if you are actually feeding 100 that you make a cake big enough to feed 100.The 3D cakes look awesome but normally don't feed near to that amount unless you make it huge etc and re-proportion the sizes.Your best bet is to practice now and get a feel for it and you will know with trial and error where you went wrong and what works and what doesn't.Good Luck!!




Thank you for your advise, will most definitely be practicing to see what I come up with. It will be the first time I try this and so it will definitely be challenge for me.

iris219 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBakinBarbie

I don't have much to offer with your questions, except for your inquiry about your bassinet cake... My avatar is my niece's christening cake topper made out of gumpaste. I don't know if you like the design, but maybe making two separate panels and then joining them would be easier for you? (Although I'm not sure how you'd get the ripple effect. Maybe piping something on the panels?) Well, good luck with your project! icon_smile.gif




Very cute Bassinet in your avatar, never thought of making it like that, always seen it as a round type of hood. Will have to play around to see how it will come out for me. Thank you.

iris219 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Use the Wilton serving chart to determine what size pans you need to use to feed 100.

Are you in business? If so do you have a base price per serving in place?

That's how price is determined. You'll need to figure out how much it costs you to make this cake. Ingredients, utilities, boxes, boards, gas, and your time. Not to mention your costs for rent, insurance, licensing etc.

As you can see there is a LOT that goes into pricing a cake. It's not just the flour, sugar and eggs.

My price will most likely not be your price, you really need to determine that for yourself.

Good luck!




Great, Thank you, found the Wilton serving chart and it's a huge help. No I don't have my own business I started to do these cakes as a hobby and then everyone started to like what I've done, and started to ask if I can make certain types of cakes. And this is where I am now.

I still have a lot to learn on making cakes. Really never thought of all the stuff you need to get to make a cake. It's different when you get the supplies you need for your own personal use and then when you need to write this stuff down, it really adds up.

Thank you again everyone for you input this will get me on the right track.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 16

Try making the hood out of gumpaste. I made the one in my photos out of fondant, but would use all gumpaste if I had to again. It took a long time to get it right. I molded it over a toy ball, but I've heard a lot of people say they use the wilton ball pan. Good luck.

jammjenks Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 16
iris219 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Here's one way to do it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-618156-0.html



Yeap, that's the way I had done it but every time I wanted to remove the candy it would crack.

JanH Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 16

..moving to General forum. icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 16

Really? Did you freeze it before unmolding?

iris219 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:11am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Really? Did you freeze it before unmolding?


yes

jammjenks Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:42pm
post #14 of 16

icon_confused.gif Well, I don't know then. Sorry I couldn't help more. You do have some other good options up there ^^^

Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 16

I say use gumpaste - it may be your medium that's giving you trouble? I know some have done it in chocolate, but maybe your chocolate is more fragile for some reason? idk, but gumpaste is a good bet! Lots of luck!

iris219 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

I say use gumpaste - it may be your medium that's giving you trouble? I know some have done it in chocolate, but maybe your chocolate is more fragile for some reason? idk, but gumpaste is a good bet! Lots of luck!




Yeah, will have to give the gumpaste a try. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%