Cake Dummies

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 6:47pm by brincess_b

ohayr639 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 6

Is there another way to work with the dummies without having to make the actual buttercream or fondant? Any shortcuts?
I want to practice on them so bad but feel like I am wasting so much even after using all my leftovers.

5 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 6

Hi! Some cover them in royal icing. (Don't know if that helps ya!) Let's see what other ideas get posted. icon_wink.gif

Ednarooni Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 6

I saw someone use crisco, just lightly brushed it on and then covered it that way... not sure if that's the best way..lol..but that's how I saw them do it..

brincess_b Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 6

what is it you want to practice? if its just the piping, then you can just pipe ont he naked (or clingfilmed/ trexed etc etc) dummy.
but if youw ant to practice covering, then you must use the real thing. you can make/ buy cheaper versions to generally practice, but they might work differently to the more quality version.
just use and reuse and reuse. bc can be frozen, a quick mix and you can use again, fondant can be covered for ages and reused.
xx

ohayr639 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 6

I guess it would help to say what I am practicing! I bought the dummies to work on techniques and get some more pictures.
Dumb question but once I use fonadant I cannot use it again right?

brincess_b Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 6

as long as the fondant is still soft and workable (a little extra trex may be needed) yes you can re-use it.

and could also then use for models, or cutting shapes, different colours - ie: start white, dye pink, dye red, dye purple, dye black. and work quicker, lol)/. what might nto be useable for covering a whole cake, might be useable for a different purpose.

so finish your dummy, take your picture, strip the fondant, and cover. might work, might not, but worth trying.

also think about building a series of cakes. i have some in my pictures (actually also have more i dont think i posted the second and third cakes posted) but that was all one main coat of fondant, with different accents. also did half and half cakes - different designs on different parts, with careful photos! indydebi also has a series of photos on one dummy in her fliker account i think.

so you start all white with a ribbon. then add a flower. add more flowers and some leaves. then take off the flowers, do some piping. then make it fancier - maybe brush embroidery, or add in a colour.

if you are just doing piping practice, you dont need to have properly covered the dummy.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%