Help!!! Need Ideas For A Yummy Filling For Chocolate Cake

Decorating By herdream Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 2:51am by KellzNZ

herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 14

I am having a serious brain fart here!! I need ideas for a delicious filling for a chocolate truffle torte cake with chocolate ganache. I really wanted to try orange buttercreme, but my hubby says that he doesnt like that combination. icon_cry.gif
I want to steer away from the old stanby's i.e. strawberry, raspberry, vanilla, chocolate. And try something semi-exotic.

Thanks in advance for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 14

passionfruit is fantastic with a really rich chocolate cake. the puckery tartness is a perfect counterpoint to all that chocolately goodness.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 14

I make a caramel filling that I use with my chocolate cakes and it is always a hit. It is just butter, brown sugar and vanilla with powdered sugar. Can't go wrong with those ingredients!!

jocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jocakes Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 14

baileys/coffee ? You can add instant coffee dissolved in a tbsp of boiling water and a slug of baileys in vanilla buttercream or I like a mix of vanilla pudding (made with 3/4 of recommended quantity of milk), stir in some whipped cream and add coffee and baileys to that.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 14

peanut butter buttercream
nutella
salted caramel
white chocolate ganache
andes mint buttercream
cookies and cream
toasted coconut buttercream

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 14

Try a salted caramel filling. I just add caramel to SMBC and then add a drizzle of caramel over the top. A little sea salt to take the taste to a whole other level. YUM!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 14

I know I would love a cake like that with a hazelnut filling. YUM! I think Nutella would be delicious in there.

Jaeger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaeger Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbob1984

Try a salted caramel filling. I just add caramel to SMBC and then add a drizzle of caramel over the top. A little sea salt to take the taste to a whole other level. YUM!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

That sounds fantastic! Do you mix the salt into the caramel or just sprinkle a little over the caramel drizzle?

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 14

peppermint buttercream, guava-paste buttercream (tart and pink!), or a layer of dacquoise made with peanuts or almonds (puts a lightly crunchy layer between the cake layers) -- all wonderful.

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 14

I usually sprinkle the salt over the top just before serving. You get that crunch of salt with all that sweet - OMG it is to die for. I sold 6 dozen of them in my office for Christmas.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 14

Martha Stweart recipe - Caramel with Salt
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/caramel-with-salt

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:33pm
post #12 of 14

I will second the vote for nutella or bailey's. I've used them both several times with chocolate cake and they are excellent.

mcdonald - would you be willing to share your caramel recipe? that sounds yummy, I've been looking for a caramel filling recipe.

thanks.

BethHansen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethHansen Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:00pm
post #13 of 14

I like White Chocolate Peppermint buttercream, Raspberry Mousse, or Dulce de Leche with my chocolate cakes.

KellzNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellzNZ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #14 of 14

This is going to sound wierd, but I love lime and chocolate together, so some kind of lime/lemon filling? But then it might be too close to the orange flavour, so your husband might not like that either! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%