Americolor Question

Decorating By amywood20 Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 11:45pm by amywood20

amywood20 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 6

I am getting ready to invest in an airbrush system and have been trying to decide on the colors to order. I love the shiny pearl type colors and I have seen quite a few here that use Americolor. Is that the best option? Also, I know there are various size bottles of color. I am not sure how far the smaller .65 bottle will go. I am not decorating on a professional level and am just making cakes for fun. Does anyone have any ideas when it comes to the size of these bottles and how many uses I might be able to get out of them? I am learning so much from all of you!

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 6

I use Americolor all the time.I use the 4.5 oz bottles as I do alot of cakes and use the airbrush for all of them.The only sheens I would suggest you buy is the Pearl,gold and silver as you will find you don't need the others.And...you can add a drop of pink or any color to the pearl to get that sheen color.The .65 bottles are very small and really are made for a sample..I can use that on one cake.

amywood20 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the sheen color recommendation. As far as regular colors, I see there are multipacks. I have looked at the 12 color kit but wonder if I will really use all of those colors or if I should just buy a handful of individual bottles. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 6

The small bottle multi packs are great to start and they give a bit of every color to try.If you only want a few then buy the 4 primary colors and try those.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:49am
post #5 of 6

Start with the smaller bottles for most colors. That way if you decide you don't like a shade you don't have this huge bottle sitting there to use it. I get big bottles of colors you'd use alot of, like red and black.

I bought some pearl colors but haven't used them yet.

What colors you get will depend on what colors you use most for everything. icon_smile.gif

amywood20 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%