Painting On Gumballs?

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 2:52pm by pumpkinroses

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 6

What would I use to paint on gumballs? Would the food markers work or should I use a paintbrush?

I need to get some small details on them to look like closed Bakugan brawlers for my DS's birthday cupcakes for school.

Thanks
Nikki

5 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 6

I tried using straight Americolor gel colors on peanut M&M's. I used a small paint brush. They took a long time to fully dry (a couple days). I tried food markers, too; but I (personally) preferred using the paint brush. Good luck & HTH! icon_smile.gif

pumpkinroses Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for letting me know it took a little while to dry. Did they wipe off easily once it dried?

These aren't needed until Feb 1st so at least I have the time.

Thanks
Nikki

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 6

Hi! Sorry for the delay in replying back to you! ... They did not wipe off at all once they completely dried. In fact, I still have a few left over from my project. I would imagine, though, that if they were to get wet, the painted-on color would probably break down and smear. The markers definitely dried faster; but I like the control I have using the paint brush. thumbs_up.gif

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 6

I used Americolor food writer markers to draw on Skittles to make ladybugs and it worked great. Skittles have the same smooth shiny surface as gumballs. It does have to dry a bit though or it will smear. It doesn't smear after it's dry. Don't use Wilton markers...they won't work on a surface like that. It only takes about 15 min or so to dry.

pumpkinroses Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, for both of your help. I do have the Americolor markers so that's good. I will be buying some gumballs this weekend to start working on them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%