Marshmallow Frosting?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 3:08pm by metria

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 5:01am
post #1 of 7

I made cupcakes and decorated them whith a swirl of marshamallow frosting. The frosting was stiff when I made it and it tasted and looked great but then when I got home tonight I looked at them and it looks as if the frosting is melting underneath and when I push on the swirl of marshmallow it will just slide right off. This is the first time I have made marshamallow frosting and I really like it, but now I am so dissapointed that they did this they look like crap now. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? My cupcakes turned out really wierd, almost too moist and sunken down in the middle (new recipe I hated) could this have anything to do with it? could the marshmallow frosting be absorbing the moistness of the cupcake making it wet underneath? I want to add that I had them in one of those plastic cupcake containers you get from the bakery and it was shut tight could that also have been the cause?
Thanks alot
Kiley

6 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 5:20am
post #2 of 7

Without knowing what mm frosting you were using it's hard to say. I've used one with butter and marshmallow cream and powdered sugar and it turned out great, just like butterceam. If you want pm me and I'll send you my recipe. It very well could be your cupcakes, too much moisture/humidity. try it with a diff recipe and see. good luck!

kileyscakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 6:50am
post #3 of 7

Thanks the recipe was
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup of sugar
put over simmering water till sugar dissolves then beat it until stiff peaks form.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 7:27am
post #4 of 7

Wow that recipe sounds almost like royal icing except that it's heated while beaten. I know royal deteriorates when in contact with fat so maybe the same thing is happening? Jeep girl's recipe sounds stable and tasty tooicon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 7:35am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kileyscakes

Thanks the recipe was
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup of sugar
put over simmering water till sugar dissolves then beat it until stiff peaks form.

That's a 7 minute frosting - best made the day it is to be eaten because it absorbs moisture like a sponge...

HTH

kileyscakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 7

could I add anything to it to make it more stable? If I added a stick of butter would that help, then it would be smbc right? I made some smbc last week for the first time and thought it was a little to buttery tasting, but it didn't have much sugar in the recipe so maybe if I use this recipe and only one stick it would hold up better? I have been trying different icing recipes because I amy trying to get away from the shortening powedered sugar icings, they are too sweet.
Thanks for the help!!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 7

did you use pasteurized egg whites? every time i try those in my boiled icing it's either unstable or begins to separate.

http://cakeoricandothat.blogspot.com/2009/12/snowman-house-of-horror-completed.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%