Very Very Silly I Know...but How?

Decorating By Taigen Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 8:52pm by Mug-a-Bug

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 12

I know this is really a very silly question at this point but I will ask anyway. I am a hobby baker so have no expetice at all, but I try. I don't get the opportunity to bake often but tomorrow is my sons birthday. Normally this family NEVER eats cake (which is why I have no practice!) but today my son wants a cake for his birthday.....TOMORROW!

Okay...so cake is baked, crumb coated...good idea of what to do except....I plan on doing a "bottle cap" cake of a budwiezer beer cap.
I have left over fondant from a recent cake I made for a friend but am wondering......
HOW DO I MAKE FONDANT RED for tomorrow.?

I sent older son out to the liguor store to buy vodka for painting but I don't think that will be red enough...any suggestions?

Thanks
Taigen

11 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 12

Do you have red gel color? You'll need to just kneed it in to the fondant, it takes a LOT of red gel to get the red color though.

Another option is to just mix a little vodka or lemon extract with some gel color and paint it on the fondant (after it's on the cake).

Good luck!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 12

Do you have red food coloring? If so just knead the color and wrap tightly so it doesn't harden/dry out. By tomorrow it will be nice and red (the color deepens overnight). HTH

Taigen Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 12

yes...I have both the gel food colouring and I sent older son out to the liguor store for vodka haha! I will knead it together tonight and hope it turns a nice red....thanks all....I really do appreciate your replys.
Especially since I seldom have insight to give.
Thank you
Taigen

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 12

Oh boy that is a toughie. Get it as pink as you can then use red. You may want to let it sit over night so that it can darken. It is very hard to get fondant to be red instead of pink but good luck.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:58am
post #6 of 12

You can always do both. Try kneading the red gel into it. It will darken a bit overnight too. If it's still not red enough, painting it with the vodka and red gel should make it red. Painting red on a white background would require a few coats (and that's not really what you want, it could make the fondant sticky) but if you paint red on a redish background the end result should be red.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:04am
post #7 of 12

In a pinch, I have used the cans of Wilton spray color, it comes in red. Just make sure to either spray outside or cover surrounding area with newspaper or red will be all over the place.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:19am
post #8 of 12

I think kneeding red food color into old fondant sounds like a cake disaster waiting to happen. (I try to tell it like it is). I think you will end up with badly 'behaved' pink fondant. I would try making a brand new batch of MMF and add in LOTS of red color to the marshmellow mix. Good luck whatever you decide thumbs_up.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:52am
post #9 of 12

I knead food color into prepared fondant all the time, no problem... thumbs_up.gif

Taigen Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:12am
post #10 of 12

Okay, well I kneaded in lots of red gel so it is a darker pink colour right now, not red yet but I am hoping that by the a.m. it will be a bit darker. Then I can paint red onto it with the vodka.
Oh well this is a lesson learned at least, glad it is for him/us and not a friend etc.
I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks for the help
Taigen

ashleyisawesome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyisawesome Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

I think kneeding red food color into old fondant sounds like a cake disaster waiting to happen. (I try to tell it like it is). I think you will end up with badly 'behaved' pink fondant. I would try making a brand new batch of MMF and add in LOTS of red color to the marshmellow mix. Good luck whatever you decide thumbs_up.gif

We use only white fondant at the bakery I work at as a base, so we always use gel colors to color our fondant. It takes a while, but kneeding in red gel color does work. You'd just have to add corn starch to stiffen it up a bit afterwards. No cake disasters have resulted icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 12

Oh good to hear icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%