Got The Makins Extruder!

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 3:59am by kentuckyjode

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 9

Was at HL Wednesday, and they were out of stock. I called yesterday, and they had gotten ONE in the truck. They offered to hold it, and I got it today! I have some MFF in the fridge, so maybe will try it out after I take down the tree!

8 replies
yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 9

I'm sure you probably know this...have lots of shortening handy to knead into the fondant! Otherwise its nearly impossible to push it through!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the tip!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:08am
post #4 of 9

Actually, I almost never knead in extra shortening when I use my Makins extruder. I use Satin Ice though, which is pretty soft...

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #5 of 9

Just got mine off of e-bay. Haven't used it yet though. Looking forward to it... thanks for the tips..

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:31am
post #6 of 9

If you got the Makins Ultimate Extruder--the light green METAL one with the "T" twist handle--you DON'T need to add a lot of shortening to your fondant.
It won't hurt your hands.

You can add a little shortening if you fondant is pretty stiff, but other than that, it's not necessary.

If you got the Makins dark green plastic push extruder--take it back and buy the metal one when you find it.............the green plastic one WILL hurt your hands and it's a waste of time & money.

Rae

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:45am
post #7 of 9

I hate that green thing.....like the black and red gun with the trigger handle...much easier to use I think.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:50am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyjode

I hate that green thing.....like the black and red gun with the trigger handle...much easier to use I think.

I assume that you mean you hate the DARK GREEN PLASTIC Makins extruder?????????????? Everyone does!

I hate the red & black one-----------too much $$$$$$$, too much shortening needed, too little a barrel so you have to re-load too often.......That's why I love the METAL light green Makins Ultimate----cheaper, little or no shortening, and a long barrel for nice long extrusions.

Rae

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:59am
post #9 of 9

Actually hate both green extruders.....Love my big ole gold mama jama industrial strength extruder like Jennifer Dontz uses!!! It is awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%